Ultrasonics

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jwax

Ultrasonics

Post by jwax »

Anybody ever try to build an ultrasonic cleaner? I'm considering building one, but info on transducers, their placement, type, power etc. is scarce.
Ever seen a DIY article on building one?
John
WA2RBA
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hello John.

There was a good article to build one on Popular Electronics a zillion years ago, but for sure the parts source listed has vanished today.
To obtain the piezo elements of the correct frequency and dimensions, could be a headache in these times of no access to DIY components. The oscillator is still doable with salvaged or new parts. The stainless basin is available at kitchen supplies stores.

Purchasing one is the obvious route to follow as prices are lower than the sum of its parts; but take all the building fun away from us. :sad:

http://www.jewelsmall.com/cleaner.html? ... awodhiSrYA

Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

John,

It would probably be impossible to DIY and beat this deal from Harbor Freight. I have had this one for over a year and am pleased with it's operation. They also have smaller other models.
Here'a a neat tip. Almost all ultrasonic cleaners have a dead node somplace in the tank. To find it, or just to confirm operation place a strip of aluminum foil in the filled tank at various places for a few seconds, or longer depending on the power of the unit. When you hold the strip up to a light, there will be many pin holes in the foil from the acton of the cleaner More holes, better cleaning action! Caution! Do not put plastic lens glassses in the unit. It will frost the lenses! Please don't ask how I know this...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=91957
jwax

Post by jwax »

Thanks Miguel, but I'm looking for something like this:
http://www.policeproductscorp.com/
No price indicated, but I'm sure it's beyond $1,000.
Building one that works OK is sort of like building a multi-engine racecar. If all the power sources aren't synchronized/tuned, they destroy each other instead of driving the load.
Information for a DIY u/s cleaning project is scarce! :sad:
WA2RBA
jwax

Post by jwax »

Lenp- We posted at the same time!
That is a very good price for a cleaner!
And yes, I've done the aluminum foil destruction test! Cavitation is potent! As is the secrecy behind transducer placement in and on tanks. Some are bottom mounted, some on the side of the tank. Some have one big transducer, others have several drivers oddly spaced.
Thanks!
WA2RBA
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

What do you need a tank that size for? :???:
Are you planing to clean small engines with it? :lol:

Signed: Janitor Tzap
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Lenp wrote:John,

It would probably be impossible to DIY and beat this deal from Harbor Freight. I have had this one for over a year and am pleased with it's operation. They also have smaller other models.
Here'a a neat tip. Almost all ultrasonic cleaners have a dead node somplace in the tank. To find it, or just to confirm operation place a strip of aluminum foil in the filled tank at various places for a few seconds, or longer depending on the power of the unit. When you hold the strip up to a light, there will be many pin holes in the foil from the acton of the cleaner More holes, better cleaning action! Caution! Do not put plastic lens glassses in the unit. It will frost the lenses! Please don't ask how I know this...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=91957
Hi Len,

How do you know this? (Just kidding, :smile:)

I just wanted to mention that i have found that alcohol can do this damage
to plastic too, or at least some plastics. I like to clean with alcohol so
i found out the hard way too... <unsmile>
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Janitor- Rifles and Shotguns actually. It will do a complete clean on a gun with no more disassembly than removing the optics, and the stock. All in under 10 minutes, and it does a far better job than disassembly/clean/reassembly.
WA2RBA
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

jwax

What solvent do you use in the tank? The cleaner I have is sized adequately for most pistols so I may want to try it on some in my collection.

Len
jwax

Post by jwax »

Lenp- There's more ultrasonic cleaners solvents out there than there are beers in the world!
I haven't begun evaluating any of them, but I've heard "Simple Green" works wonders. Everybody that sells cleaners seems to have their own favorite "best" solvents to sell.
Almost all remove lubricants, so oiling after a cleaning is necessary.
John
WA2RBA
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

jwax wrote:Janitor- Rifles and Shotguns actually. It will do a complete clean on a gun with no more disassembly than removing the optics, and the stock. All in under 10 minutes, and it does a far better job than disassembly/clean/reassembly.
Well, unless your running a Gun Shop.
I can't see owning a Ultrasonic Cleaner that big, just too clean your own guns.
jwax

What solvent do you use in the tank? The cleaner I have is sized adequately for most pistols so I may want to try it on some in my collection.

Len
In the TV/VCR Shop I worked at.
We had a small Ultrasonic Cleaner 6"Dia x 6"Deep.
You would use only warm water and dish soap in it.
Once in a while for really tough cleaning jobs, I'd use some ammonia.

I guess you could use harsher solvents in the tank.
But it's the ultrasonic action in the tank that does most of the cleaning.
Not the liquid solutions.

Also, I found that warm liquid solutions worked better than cold for cleaning parts. :)

Signed: Janitor Tzap
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i always wanted to stick my finger in one of them jewelery store cleaners, but was too chicken to do it.. i wondered if it could clean the dirt from under my nails easier or not...Hmmmm
jwax

Post by jwax »

Naw. The acoustical impedance of your body parts is too low to couple much ultrasonic energy. However, I'd guess some tissue damage would occur with prolonged exposure. Ouch! Cavitation of cell walls and nerve endings! OUCH!
I'd stay with using an old toothbrush for the nails there dacflyer! :grin:
WA2RBA
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

I've always wanted an ultrasound cleaner large enough for a set of venetian blinds. The ones in my house are filthy with dust which is sort of stuck to them making it next to impossible to clean without a lot of tedious labor.

Also, it would be a great way to clean chandeliers, the ones with all the crystal pendants.
"if it's not another it's one thing."
jwax

Post by jwax »

jimandy- They make those! Still very expensive however. It was a "home business" a few years back to put a cleaner in your truck, and drive to customers house, take down their blinds, clean them and re-install. I've been looking for one myself for rifle cleaning.
John
WA2RBA