help on DC-AC inverter for Public art Project. Thks

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
federico muelas

Post by federico muelas »

Hi guys,
Thanks a lot,

Dyaker, the Operative system to use hasn’t been decided yet, let me know which one is preferable and fast enough for our needs and I´ll get it for the project, PC, Unix, etc. And If you have recomendations on the machine itself please let me know too.

On the beginning someone suggest me to use an Embedded system Platform such us the RabbitCore line from Rabbit Microprocessors instead of a embedded Computer for video processing, because this systems generally contain no moving parts, give off little heat, requiere little electricity and can withstand extreme temperatures. This specific system works with Dynamic C. But pretty soon we went back to the embedded Computer due to the complexity of the tasks to perform, and most likely the Computer will be located in a temperature-controlled room inside the building anyway, so working temperature won’t be an issue.

Also a pc-based system will be easier to troubleshoot than a complex microprocessor. Ideally we want to remotely monitor the functioning of the system via web, and this will be much easier to do if using a computer.

For the RS485 card what about this one? Comtrol RocketPort INFINITY Quadcable DB9M, RS485 serial port expansion card
http://www.comtrol.com/products/specifications/99350-6

Rob, I´m pretty sure it takes gerber files, I´ll double check with the technician and let you know soon.
The Machine is a Torchmate CNC personal milling machine 4’x8’, but I’ll get the exact Specs. I’m adding a couple of images of circuits made by this model of milling machine.
It´ll be great if you can send me the sample layout to try !!!
Thanks a lot

just one question regarding the power supplies.

I’m thinking that whatever we install directly on the panels should be pretty tough, since this will be outside. Although it won’t be exposed to direct sunlight since all the electronics will be protected from the sun on the back of the panels and enclosed on a water-resistant case. I’m trying to come with a pivoting system to install the panels on the Ventilated curtain wall aluminum frame (some kind of hinge-based system that would allow us to easily access the back of the panels for repairing just by turning it open), but I’m afraid that this will be too expensive, so structural silicon will be used instead. This means that every time you need to access the electronics on the back of any panel you’ll have to remove it from the screen and take it down.

Regarding the PICs, shift registers, Triacs, etc. I guess we have no choice, but, if we end using the structural silicon, do you think we should install the power supplies somewhere else? may be on the bottom of the screen? How durable do you guys think they are?
As I write this lines I realize how important is to have a hinged system or an easy access method to the electronics of the screen though.
Thanks a lot!!!
Fede
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

The 99350-6 board you gave link for is NOT a RS-485 port. It is four RS-232 ports on RJ-45 connectors. If the intended PC does not have an RS-232 port, this board can be used. In either case, an RS-232 to RS-422/485 converter box will be needed. (Or maybe a RS-485 PCI exists)

I can compile programs for Win32 (Windows 95 through Vista). My first preference at right now would be XP SP2, second pref Vista (only misses being first by a hair).

C U L -
Dale Y
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Working on bitmap to sent bytes to A6818 output data lookup table.

In panels 3, 5, 24 and 26 only one output of 5th A6818 is used, 31 outputs are not used.

I suggest that pixel at row 3 column 4 of panel 3 can be deleted without affecting roundness. (mated deletion in panels 5, 24 and 26)

That will give 4 fully used A6816s on those panels, and save 4 A6818s and PCBs for the project.

decision please?
Dale Y
Viking

Post by Viking »

Hello Federico,
I think we will have to have a power supply per panel and suffer the extra expense of moisture proofing etc. I think we will make problems for ourselves if we try and power from a single source, both AC and DC, see attached. You end up with paralleled paths which carry both AC and DC currents.
Regards
Rob

LIFE….the crappy bit between birth and death
federico muelas

Hi Guys,
Thanks
Dyaker, I agree, let´s get rid of that pix. Thanks. Let me research on another RS-485 port. I think Comtrol have several of these. (www.comtrol.com)I remember i saw RS-485 PCI cards somewhere. I´ll get a XP SP2 for the project then.
Rob, I meant using a power supply per panel but installing all of them somewhere else if possible, May be on the bottom of the screen so we have easy access to them. They told me that the CNC takes Gerber files, and in fact I have access to a laser cutting machine that we have been trying to use for circuits too. I´ll let you know, either way, Gerber files work.
thanks guys
Fede
Viking

Post by Viking »

Hello Federico,

By 'at the bottom of the screen' you mean at the base of the display? If so, yes I don't see why this should not work. Actually the power supplies could be quite simple, the AC supply is really just a transformer and the DC supply just a transformer with a rectifier/regulator built onto the main receiver board. So the power supplies would be quite reliable and may not need any more accessible for maintenance than the rest of the electronics.
Had a look at the CNC machine web site. By the way, I have access to Inventor 3D modeller if needed.

Regards
Rob
federico muelas

Hi Rob,
At the base right, so only a lift would be necessary to replace/fix a supply, without having to remove the panel. the max distance between a panel and its power supply would be 30 feet. but if you think they are as durable as any of the other electronic parts may be we should keep them on the back of each panel.

Thanks a lot about the program!!! I think we may have it on the school ( I teach basic electronics at the School of Visual Arts). I´ll let you know.

I had a look to the idea of using the laser cutting for the circuits and it might work. You have to cover the cooper surface with a non-reflective material (such us black paint) for the laser to work. I´ll give it a try.
Here is the pics of the circuits I forgot to post.
Thanks a lot
Fede

Thanks a lot
Fede
Viking

Post by Viking »

Hello Federico
The PCB's look good, more than enough resolution for what we need I think.
One panel of 28 in comparison with average man (imike)!

Which are your prefered component suppliers?
Regards
Rob
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

BTW Federico, does this thing have name? Something suitable for programs window title bar, and abreviated as part of file name (somethingPlayer.exe, somethingBuilder.exe)?
Dale Y
federico muelas

Hi Guys,
Thanks a lot !
Rob, Great render, the guy is looks like me after a strict two year diet.
The Name of the project is Blue Flower, Dyaker.
By the way guys, do you have a P.O.Box address or somewhere where I could send you a DVD I put together of the project with renders and everything?
Thanks !!!
Fede
Viking

Post by Viking »

Hello Federico,
I've sent you a PM with my postal address.
Regards
Rob

ps what are your prefered component suppliers? This will help me lay out the boards with components that I know you can get your hands on.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Saw that on your site, didn't realize that is the current project.

Sent mail address to your e-mail.
Dale Y
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Corrected pixel position diagram.
The red "24" fixes a typo on the original (was 29).
Red pixel positions and numbers reflect deletion of 4 pixels I asked about before.
The green pixel was missing from original, though it was counted in the numbers at the top.

I just finished database needed by program to put bitmap pixels into right place in serial byte stream. The .zip can be downloaded from:
www.yarker-dsyc.info/BlueFlower

Now I get back to writing the program.

C U L -
Dale Y
Viking

Post by Viking »

Hello Federico,
Latest version of Receiver-Display board. Still a work-in-progress but getting there.

Regards
Robert

MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hello there,

Hey this thing is looking pretty cool...what is it going to be used for
and where will it be placed?
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.