Weston/Schlumberger Freq. Counter

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Robert

Weston/Schlumberger Freq. Counter

Post by Robert »

Model #1255 Programmable Frequency Counter. I picked up this unit at a garage sale over the weekend.I have done an extensive web search for info but came up with nothing. None of the popular manual providers have any listings for it. Would anyone have any info? I think Weston was owned by many companies, Schlumberger,Fairchild,Solatron,Sangamo and probably others. Maybe this unit has a different mod# from a different manufacturer.

Thanks for any help.

Robert
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Robert, it might be helpful to know where you've looked so that I/we can more-easily suggest options for you. Heathkit was also intermingled with Weston and Schlumberger during the 1960s and 1970s as I recall.

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

I agree with Dean as well.

But is there a model number on it some where?

That's where I would start.
Punch in the Make and Model Number in Google, Yahoo, etc.....
And see what comes up.

It at least may give you an idea as to where to start looking.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
Robert

Post by Robert »

The only number I can find is 1255 on the front panel. I have searched AG Tannenbaum,Surplus Sales,Manualman, Manuals Plus and others.

The unit uses 7400 series ic's. Some ic's are house numbered 463-7 and 442-30. The 7 digit readout ckt board has a 1972 date on it.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Robert wrote:The only number I can find is 1255 on the front panel. I have searched AG Tannenbaum,Surplus Sales,Manualman, Manuals Plus and others.

The unit uses 7400 series ic's. Some ic's are house numbered 463-7 and 442-30. The 7 digit readout ckt board has a 1972 date on it.
Those house numbers look a lot like Heath\Zenith Numbers.
Dean may be correct in that it is a unit that Heathkit sold.

The 442-30, by chance is it in a TO-3 Case?
If it is, then its a +5V 1A Regulator.
That would confirm that it was made for Heathkit.

I've done some searches on a few Heathkit sites.
But have turn up nothing. :(

Heathkit does have an E-mail address:([email protected])
And a phone number: 1-800-253-0570
Have the exact model number ready when you call them, or E-mail.

rshayes

Post by rshayes »

There are some images of catalog pages os Heathkit counter on this site (http://www.pestingers.net/freq_counters.htm).

You might find a match in physical appearance. This would give you a Heathkit model number to search for. Once you have a Heathkit model number, it might be possible to find a manual on one of the sites devoted to Heathkits.

I agree with Janitor Tzap. Those part numbers do look very similar to the house numbers that Heathkit used to use.
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

According to the web site at

http://www.d8apro.com/heath3.htm ,

the 442-30 is a uA309K 5V regulator. That would be the same as a LM309K. They don't list any 463-XX.
Robert

Post by Robert »

I looked at the pestinger site and did not see anything that looks like my counter. I emailed heathkit and they were no help. The unit has three TO3 cased semis on the back panel. I may have time this weekend to open it up and check to see if they are LM309"s

Thanks for your help.

Robert
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Robert,

While you got the Counter open check the inside back panel.
Sometimes Heathkit put the model sticker there.

A lot of companies sold there equipment under the Heathkit name.
I still have a SM-77 Fluke that I got through Heathkit that even has their name on it. :)