Resistor Bank IC

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Craig

Resistor Bank IC

Post by Craig »

Hi Guys,

In the article "Use the Pushbutton Rotary Encoder" in the August '08 (pg 52) issue of N&V, the schematic (and pics) show what looks like an IC that contains a bank of 470 ohm resistors. I have never seen one of these before, and there is no parts list or BOM for that project.

Does anybody know the part number for this, or the series code or whatever for similar chips? Having something like that would be a lot easier than soldering in 7 or 8 individual resistors!

Thanks,

Craig
Viking

Post by Viking »

This is usually called a resistor network and is made by all the major resistor manufacturers, just Google 'resistor network'.

Regards
Rob
LIFE….the crappy bit between birth and death
Craig

Post by Craig »

Thanks, I just had to figure out what those things are called, there was no mention of it in the article.

Now I know, and knowing's half the battle!

Craig
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

GO JOE ! ( GI JOE )
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

And to think, COBRA makes comm equipment... :mrgreen:

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

DIP resistor networks provided me with yet another opportunity to totally mess up the minds of other people. I had a student once who pondered a PCB full of ICs and finally asked the question, "Why do they call them 'integrated' circuits?"

Well, the first thing I did was to grab the computer PCB I knew I had that was loaded with ICs as well as DIP resistor networks of several different brands.

"Well," I began, "the devices you have there are actually 'segregated' circuits. If you'll notice, they're all the same color, specifically, black. Here," I added, proffering the computer PCB, "is a true board containing integrated circuits. Notice the black, white, yellow and red devices on this board. In 1964, the government required all the electronics companies to desegregate their circuits ...."

I can deliver this kind of crap with an absolutely straight face. The nice "demo aid" always helps. The other instructor who was with me was doing his best to keep from exploding as I related this story to the student. How he could be doing this and the student not noticing was beyond me, but the student took it all, hook, line and sinker.

This kind of stuff tends to get me into trouble. For instance, when the wife says to me, "There are bullfrogs -- are there cowfrogs?" "Well," I begin, not caring a bit about how my life is about to radically change, "bullfrogs are, of course, the male of the species, while the cowfrog ...." All is OK until she goes out and embarrasses herself with her newfound information. At that point, I might as well wish I were dead ... and I soon will be.

I had my brother, sister-in-law and fiance convinced that bowling was illegal in Oklahoma. They were wanting to go bowling and I had no interesting in doing that, so explaining how they were illegal and nonexistant in the state, I said "Most bowling alleys also have pool tables and gambling is often engaged in when playing pool games. Oklahoma, being the buckle on the Bible belt, felt that such things should be banned, so the ultra-conservative legislature enacted laws banning bowling alleys from the state."

"Naaaaaah!" as the small group begins to doubt my veracity.

"Hey, think about it," I say. "You haven't seen a bowling alley since you've been here, now have you?"

"Well, now, come to think of it, we haven't seen any bowling alleys ....."

The next time they came down to visit, I suggested that we go bowling ....

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.