"Workbench Design Contest" - Over! :)

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
VernGraner

"Workbench Design Contest" - Over! :)

Post by VernGraner »

Electronics Workbench Design Contest!
As featured in the Personal Robotics column of the June 2008 issue of Nuts and Volts magazine
  • The Challenge: Document and detail all the equipment needed to transform an empty table into a fully-operational, entry-level electronics workbench.
    The Catch: Your budget is no more than $100 USD.
    The Fine Print: Your sole source for items are vendors who currently advertise in Nuts & Volts magazine.
-1st place prize: A Parallax USB Oscilloscope

-2nd place prize: A Parallax Propeller Starter Kit

-3rd place prize: A Parallax BASIC Stamp 1 Starter Kit

HOW TO ENTER

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. To enter, send an email to [email protected] with a list of the items you would include to equip your workbench. Place one item per line and include the vendor name and price for the item. An example of the requested format is shown here:

Code: Select all

Quan |Item            |Vendor              |Part#       |Price
------------------------------------------------------------------
1    | Soldering Iron | AllElectronics.com | IR-258     |$28.95
1    | Volt/Ohm Meter | Jameco.com         | MV110      |$36.95
------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                   Total|$65.90

You may send your design in plain-text (as shown in the example above) or attach it to your email in the form of an spreadsheet (Open Office 2.0 Open Document Spreadsheet ".ODS" format preferred over ".XLS"). Making clickable links to each item's relevant web page is a plus, for example:

1 | Soldering Iron | AllElectronics.com | IR-258 |$28.95
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-st ... N/-/1.html

To keep it simple, DO NOT include shipping or tax, just the current item price from the vendor. A short description of your design philosophy and any details about the reasons for your choices should accompany your submission.

Make sure your entry includes your name, a valid return email address, a telephone number, best time to contact you via phone and your shipping address.

To be eligible, entries must be completed and received on or by:

JULY 4th 2008

Incomplete entries, entries where the total equipment price exceeds $100, or entries that do not use vendors that advertise in Nuts and Volts magazine will be disqualified.

CONTEST RULES:

1. Employees of T&L Publications, its contest sponsor (Parallax Inc.) advertising and promotional agencies and their respective affiliates and associates and such employees' immediate family members and persons with whom such employees are domiciled are excluded from this contest.

2. The prize is not redeemable in cash and must be accepted as awarded - no substitutions will be made available.

3. Decisions of the contest judge (Vern Graner) is final.

4. By claiming the prize, the winner authorizes the use, without additional compensation of his or her name and/or likeness and/or voice/photograph and municipality of residence for promotion and/or advertising purposes in any manner and in any medium (including without limitation, radio broadcasts, newspapers and other publications and in television or film releases, slides, videotape, distribution over the internet and picture date storage) which T&L Publications may deem appropriate.

5. In accepting the prize, the winner acknowledges that T&L Publications, Parallax Inc. and Vern Graner (the article author) may not be held liable for any loss, damages or injury associated with accepting or using the prize(s). Further, the winner acknowledges that T&L Publications, Parallax Inc. and Vern Graner (the article author) are not responsible for any taxes, fees, tariffs or other costs involved with the delivery of the prize.

6. T&L Publications and/or Parallax Inc. retains the rights, in its absolute and sole discretion, to make substitutions of equivalent kind or approximate value in the event of the unavailability of any prize or component of the prize for any reason whatsoever.

7. T&L Publications reserves the right to withdraw, terminate or alter this contest at any time without prior notice.

8. Approximate value of prizes vary.

9. One entry per person.

10. If the entrant is below the age of 18, their parent or guardian must submit their entry

11. All entries shall become the property of T&L Publications. T&L Publications is not responsible for lost, misdirected or delayed entries. Entries sent by methods other than email must arrive at the T&L Publications office no later than the stated end of the contest.

If you have any questions, please email [email protected]. Thanks and good luck! :smile:
--
Vern Graner
VernGraner

A note about price changes

Post by VernGraner »

An observant reader and contest entrant has pointed out a possible issue some of you folks may run into when putting together your list of workbench items.

When going back over his entry, he noticed that a vendor website had a price change that pushed his entry over the $100 mark!

So, to avoid this issue, please include the DATE that most closely reflects when your prices were gathered.

If the vendor has increased the price a bit, this won't be held against the entrant and we will use the price that was listed on the site at the time the entry was prepared.

Also, if the item you are including is a SALE item please note that as well so we know that the price will likely change to a higher one when the sale is over.

Thanks and good luck! :)

Vern
--
Vern Graner
sensorstechnology

"Workbench Design Contest" OFFICIAL RULES

Post by sensorstechnology »

Small Hobby Workbench can get filled by

1. Soldering Iron $3
2. Solder 100g $1
3. Wire Cutter $1
4. Nose Plier $1
5. Multimeter $5
6. 6V Battery $3
7. Resistance set $10
8. Capacitor set $10
9. Instrument case ABS plastic $2
10. Screws, Nults and Volts $10
11. Screw driver $2
12. Drll machine $20
13. Knife $1
14. File $1
15. Emeric paper $1
16, Document sheets $2
17. Scale $1
18. Pencil and marker $1
19, Blank PCB $1
20. PCB Pen $1
21. Ferric Chloride $1
22. Bucket for PCB etching $2
23. Scrubber and PCB cleaning detergent $2
24. Focussed light lamp $2
25. Coffee Mug $1
26. Hot air blower / hair dryer $2
27. Multiple color ribbon wires 10m $2
28. Heat shrink tube 2mm ID 10m $2
29. Smoke blower fan $1
30. My name plate being a working engineer $1

Did I get all this for $100? I think yes and I can get these for you for $100 also. Will charge shipping cost extra unless you have a shipping account. No packing charges for $100 bill.

I am happy to see this budget based question here and will sure make this kit for my students in India. They will love it. Using these one can become a professional engineer very quickly.

Why didn't it came to me first? Thanks for this posting a challenge. Looks great. Infact, I charge only $120 from engineers for using my entire lab including all parts, and tools that includes 5-1/2 digit DMM with PC interface and TDS2024 4-channel 2GSPS DSO from Tektronix.

Shyam, India
www.sensorstechnology.com
VernGraner

Re: "Workbench Design Contest" OFFICIAL RULES

Post by VernGraner »

sensorstechnology wrote:Small Hobby Workbench can get filled by

1. Soldering Iron... <snip>
Shyam:

I'm glad you enjoy the contest! :smile:

I do want to point out that to ENTER the contest, and to compete for the PRIZES, you must only select the parts from the vendors who advertise in Nuts and Volts magazine. Each item on the list should have a part number and vendor name so we may verify the source.

Next, you must put the list in a spreadsheet and then send the spreadsheet to the email address as shown in the contest instructions! :smile:

I hope you will consider submitting your entry for the contest! :)

Vern
--
Vern Graner
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Who won?
VernGraner

Re: "Workbench Design Contest" - Over! :)

Post by VernGraner »

Bob Scott wrote:Who won?
List of the prize winners are on a "sticky" here: http://forum.servomagazine.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8370. Also, the winning submissions are all listed there as PDFs as well. :)

Vern
--
Vern Graner