surveillance camera

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

surveillance camera

Post by frhrwa »

ok.. with all the expert knowledge base we have here.. question is, I'd like video surveillance, at least one camera, aimed from about 22' to 26' up on a pole barn, looking down the driveway toward the house.. something that has good resolution, maybe one that will sweep on command? zoom, etc.. without having to hock my soul to purchase.. is there any such thing? wireless operation (hope that didn't put a kink in it).. view on TV or computer, and/or web accessable? any thoughts on this? thanks ahead.. :grin:
gerty

Post by gerty »

All the stuff we use at the school comes from
http://www.supercircuits.com/
Wireless may be an issue when it comes to tilt/pan/zoom, it's out there but it ain't cheap. How much distance are you talking about from camera to reciever? They have a cheap tx/rx pair for under $100 IFIC.
Don't forget the camera ,if outside must be weatherproof or in a weatherproof enclosure. http://polarisusa.com/
Another place with decent prices.
jwax

Post by jwax »

"hock my soul" is what you do to get premium performance frhrwa.
Sure you can buy a $20 camera, but you won't like the image.
SuperCircuits have a great selection, so buy as much as you can afford-it is senseless to install a system that does not capture the resolution you need.
If you need night vision, best to stick with B&W, color isn't necessary. For nightsight, add motion-activated IR illumination.
"web access" means an "IP Camera".
Avoid the stuff RadioSlack and Walmart peddle as video. Junk IMHO.
John
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

I agree, you get what you pay for, I just didn't want one of those $5000 camera set ups,.. I thought about the pan and tilt after the message, usually requires wiring, so, I may just trench in the coax and control leads to accomodate this.. I know better than shop at Radio Junk.. I have yet, in 40 years, to go in and find what I wanted there.. and the third world country.. Wally world.. well... there again, buyer beware, just have to be real familiar with what you are buying.. so, I'm into those sites you guys gave me, I really appreciate the leads.. will let you know how it comes out.. thanks again!..
gerty

Post by gerty »

Yeah, there's junk out there, and on a lot of it you have to watch the resolution. Being in a school enviroment we cannot afford to buy expensive equipment, and teaching them how to install junk really shouldn't be an option. We have to pick and choose carefully, the most bang for the buck.
dr_when

cams

Post by dr_when »

I currently use two webcams. one a cheaper ($100.00) camera from Linksys that is stationary and the other a tilt-panning camera from D-link,the DCS-5200 ($300.00). Both are mounted in a window on the second story of my garage. Both have worked well in all temperature extremes here in the summer and winter (Wisconsin -20 to +100).

The D-Link has better resolution and it's nice to be able to pan the camera when I am at work. Both cameras let you take video or snapshots. Both require either Windows IE or their own camera client. It's nice when on the road to be able to use anyone's PC to view the homefront. Also, both cameras are configurable from the remote location.

Both are wireless so you have to be within 100 feet or so of your router. Both need broadband Internet of some form. Both work well and have been very reliable. Only problem is very ocassionally my ISP changes my dynamic IP address so I have to write down what it is when it changes. There are services that will do this for you for free (DynDns).
"Who is John Galt?"
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

great information .. appreciate all the input.. I'll check out the d-link units too.. those other websites have a lot of great info, sent an email requesting information from them too.. as far as IP, I'll have to wait unfortunately until I get DSL or Cable in this area, I'm presently using the Verizon USB wireless setup, so can't leave that hear to put the cameras on.. eventually hoping for cable to come up this road!.. thanks guys..
badzy

infrared security camera

Post by badzy »

According to the United States Disaster Center, around 13 million people are victimized by crime in the U.S. every year. In fact, crimes like murder, larceny-theft, forcible rape, robbery, burglary, assault are responsible for more “death, injuries and loss of property than all natural disasters combinedâ€
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

badzy... that's all well and good, but I don't plan on hiding if someone is trying to break in to my house.. I've got something for them.. S&W.. and I DO NOT BELIEVE IN PRISONERS!.. so burglars, thieves, thugs, and all around low lifes beware, you break in to my house, you'll never walk out!!! that my friend is a promise!!! I have absolutely NO tolerance for low lifes!
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

frhrwa
WHEN THEY COME FOR THE GUNS...GIVE THEM THE AMMO FIRST!
Len
mykah093

Re: surveillance camera

Post by mykah093 »

It seems that you are looking for the Sony security camera with infrared. Anyone concerned about security will appreciate this durable, high-quality video surveillance camera. Like you wanted to have in your house, this powerful camera is perfect for keeping an eye on the outside of your home or business all day and night, rain or shine!