Wavecom GSM modem WMOD2A-G1900 WM11725 series WMOD2

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
bbiandov

Wavecom GSM modem WMOD2A-G1900 WM11725 series WMOD2

Post by bbiandov »

Hello,

Does anyone have experience with WMOD2A-G1900 WM11725 Wavecom modem?

How does one reset the modem to factory defaults. The reset pin DOES NOT do that. It simply executes power-on reset which is no different than powering OFF and then powering back ON. Unfortunately that procedure does NOT reset the configuration back to factory.

Here is the spec sheet in case someone is curious as to what this module is:

WMOD2-UserGuide.pdf Image

Thanks
B

Image[/url]
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Like the user manual says, see the AT command set manual for your particular make and model. The AT commands vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and from model to model. For example, some modems use AT&F fo reset factory settings for the current session. Some external US Robotics Sportster (3Com) modems use AT&F1 for PC computers and another for Macs. (AT&F2)? Macs don't (or did not use to) have hardware handshaking on the serial port, so the factory setting was different than the old RS232 port on the PCs.
bbiandov

Post by bbiandov »

Bob Scott wrote:Like the user manual says, see the AT command set manual for your particular make and model. The AT commands vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and from model to model. For example, some modems use AT&F fo reset factory settings for the current session. Some external US Robotics Sportster (3Com) modems use AT&F1 for PC computers and another for Macs. (AT&F2)? Macs don't (or did not use to) have hardware handshaking on the serial port, so the factory setting was different than the old RS232 port on the PCs.
Dont have access to the serial port. Config is messed hence I can not send nor receive meaningful commands. Looking for factory reset presicely to overcome that problem

Thanks
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Scanning the user manual it appears that you should be able to send it AT commands no matter what as long as it is powered and you have the right com port settings and there is no conflict.

Check your COM ports using device manager to make sure they are OK first. After that the modem might be dead. Check its serial connector for damage, maybe look inside for solder joint failure at the serial connector or just check with DMM for continuity. Is the SIM card properly installed, Not clear what if any AT code will work if it is not installed but I think you should still be able to poll status
bbiandov

Post by bbiandov »

haklesup wrote:Check your COM ports using device manager to make sure they are OK first. After that the modem might be dead. Check its serial connector for damage, maybe look inside for solder joint failure at the serial connector or just check with DMM for continuity. Is the SIM card properly installed, Not clear what if any AT code will work if it is not installed but I think you should still be able to poll status
Thanks, all of this is trivial however. The settings are saved as start-up config and whoever saved them used some strange combination of baud rate, stop and start bits and parity. Hence I can not guess those settings and I am looking for factory hardware reset.

I do get data out of the serial port but its garbled. I did try the obvious settings for baud and start/stop but I was not able to deduce what settings the start-up config is using.

The SIM does register, I can see the stream coming out of the SMA connector, it puts out power as expected, and the IMSI is visible on the at&t side (I have access to registrations as part of my corp partner login) so the modem functions just fine except that serial port...

Thanks
B
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Try to find a generic modem program with an autodetect modem function. Even if the program cannot use your modem, it may be able to find it.
bbiandov

Post by bbiandov »

haklesup wrote:Try to find a generic modem program with an autodetect modem function. Even if the program cannot use your modem, it may be able to find it.
Still no go but I figured why not call the modem and see if it will send RING to the serial interface. Well it does but I can't make much of it. Here is the waveform. Start bits are 104micro seconds so it is defenitely talking 9600 but heck of what protocol this is?

[img][img]http://www.cognitivekipple.com/store/rs232.png[/img]
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

The first four characters are:
carriage return
line feed
R
I

Looks like it's going to be "RING" to me.

Hint: low on scope trace is logical "1", high is logical "0"
set Windows' calculator to binary
read bits of each byte in image right to left and enter on calculator
(bytes go left to right)
change calculator to hex, and lookup in character map

Cheers,

(edit- I forgot to answer your question about protocol.
It is asyncronous serial ASCII, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity bit; at
RS-232 levels. In async the least significant bit is sent first, idle line is
logical "1". "Inside the box" logical "0" is low (0 Volts), and logical "1" is
high (3.3 or 5 Volts). In RS-232 the signal is inverted; logical "0" is +6 to
+25 Volts (AKA "space"), and logical "1" is -6 to -25 Volts (AKA mark). A
long, continuous "0" is called a break.)
Dale Y
bbiandov

Post by bbiandov »

dyarker wrote:Hint: low on scope trace is logical "1", high is logical "0"
set Windows' calculator to binary
read bits of each byte in image right to left and enter on calculator
(bytes go left to right)
change calculator to hex, and lookup in character map
to -25 Volts (AKA mark). A
long, continuous "0" is called a break.)
Thanks Dale,

That answers my question. I knew bits were fluipped but I didnt account for the backwards sequence, so flippled and backwards, yay - the most un-human answer is the correct machine answer LOL

Thanks again
Boyan
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

But now you need to figure out why you can't see it with the comm program.

Bad cable maybe? Or you're using a nul MODEM cable when you need a straight through cable, or versa visa?
Dale Y
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

dyarker wrote:Or you're using a nul MODEM cable when you need a straight through cable, or versa visa?
Oh man! This brings back memories of stuff I thought I had forgotten. I haven't seen my modem in 12 years.

I think it takes just an RS232 cable with a strange 3 layer D connector. IIRC, Null modem cables connect computer to computer.

By the way, is this particular modem some sort of automotive wireless serial mobile thing?
bbiandov

Post by bbiandov »

You are right, its NOT the modem. I decided to plug into my PC with "real" serial port. So far I have been using the laptop that I always use (the desktop PC has been off for months) with Prolific USB-to-RS232 since I dont have DB9 on the laptop

Well long story short - the "real" serial worked just fine.

Crap! Stupeeed USB adaptor. And I would not even use the modem on the PC anyway, it goes on an Arduino with max chip, I was just testing it on the laptop... grrr few days lost

Thanks eveyrone
B
aliceana

Re: Wavecom GSM modem WMOD2A-G1900 WM11725 series WMOD2

Post by aliceana »

What is the best and fastest modem for Comcast?
I have had my Comcast modem for about 7 years now and need a new one. I am looking for the fastest and smoothest modem COMPATIBLE WITH COMCAST. Also, please include the price and a link. Thanks very much! I can work even faster on Answers then.