Converter Box Recommendations?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
cato

Converter Box Recommendations?

Post by cato »

Have you guys figured out which Digital TV Converter Box has the best receiver and feature set yet? I got coupons burning a hole in my pocket!

I've Been trying to find and RCA DTA 800B1 (not the 800, 800A or 800B). Walmart is supposed to have one flavor, but the two I went to last night only have Magnovox units (which I think I've seen bad review of)

So, which units have you guys gotten/tried and loved/hated?

Thanks
cato

Post by cato »

Over 400 views and no replies? Really? None of you have any thoughts on the available converter boxes?

For what its worth, I'm hoping the APEX Digital DT250 becomes available before my coupons expire...
Externet

Post by Externet »

... and highly likely most of visitors for the topic did not know the meaning of "converter box" on the title.
If the title had 'Digital television converter box' instead, traffic should had been less.
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I think its likly that few people have converter boxes yet. I personally have no plans to get one ever. I use cable and most of my TVs are less than 4 years old and have an ATSC tuner anyway. I refused to buy any HD capable "monitor" TV when they were available, I dutifully waited until tuners were standard in the size I wanted.
Janitor Tzap

Re: Converter Box Recommendations?

Post by Janitor Tzap »

cato wrote:Have you guys figured out which Digital TV Converter Box has the best receiver and feature set yet? I got coupons burning a hole in my pocket!

I've Been trying to find and RCA DTA 800B1 (not the 800, 800A or 800B). Walmart is supposed to have one flavor, but the two I went to last night only have Magnovox units (which I think I've seen bad review of)

So, which units have you guys gotten/tried and loved/hated?

Thanks
Cato,

The post "Wind freezing/interrupting Digital TV Signal"
has many of the my comments about the RCA DTA800B Converter Boxes.
The only good thing I can say about this unit.
Is that the Remote has big buttons on it.

I've talked to Walmart, Karl's Electronics & Appliance, and even Radio Shack.

The people at Walmart had no clue as to what features, or how well it would work.

The people at Radio Shack couldn't help either, but they stated that the
Zenith Converter Boxes DTT900 (15-148) that they sold, and older units on their shelves were being pulled.
There is a bug in the chipset, and they weren't going to get any replacements in for a couple of weeks.

The people at Karl's Electronics & Appliance were more helpful.
They were suppling the Philco, and Insignia NS-DXA1 units.
They let me test them with my older DirecTv Remote too make sure they
didn't conflict with each other.
The Philco was fairly easy to setup, plus when you shut it off.
You could use the old Analog Tuner on the TV with out having to disconnect the Converter Box.

But currently......
There is a shortage of Converter Boxes right now in my area.
Only Walmart has Converter Boxes, and currently only the RCA DTA800B Converter Boxes.

Here's a helpful site.
http://tvfool.com/
The TV Fool will help you find out what DTV Stations are around your neck of the country.
Plus, give you all the technical stuff; like signal strength, and where to point your antenna.
And much more. :)

Signed: Janitor Tzap