Wheel chair motor controller

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
badtube

Post by badtube »

Does anyone know a site that I can go to and get technical info and a schematic on an INVACARE wheel chair controller?
It is MKIV GB Mod. 1109528

I did a web search and had lots of their company sites but no technical.
Any site that has info on these controllers would be of help.

Thanks
jwax

Post by jwax »

Can't help with technicals, but if it's in use, be cautious about repairing it. Liability issue. Let a bonded insured tech work on it.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

You'll always have trouble finding manufacturer's information on medical products because of the liability issues. Their liability is tremendous. That's why Tektronix got out of the portable patient moniter business back around 1978 or so. 'Twas a shame because they had the best neonatal monitor on the market. Hospitals loved them.

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
badtube

Post by badtube »

It is an old one out of a discarded chair. I wanted to try and use it for a soft start controller for an auto starter motor. I have a gyrocopter that uses a 24 foot , free spinning rotor blades. I presently use a starter motor to start it spinning, but you have to momentary press a button and that hits the starter with the full current. I was thinking that maybe with this controller I could soft start the rotor blades a little at a time until up to speed.
I have seen controllers advertized that you can use a 5k pot for speed control of a motor. But they are rather expensive to purchase for me to experiment with. I came across this old controller and wanted to experiment with it. But having a schematic on the unit would be good.
Thanks for the replies
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i seen one guy use a large power resistor for his set up, his was actually home made, some really heavy gauge steel wire out of a old battery load tester, it was good for up to about 500 amps,
perhaps this might be an option ?
Bigglez

Re: Wheel chair motor controller

Post by Bigglez »

Greetings (No First Name Supplied),
badtube wrote:I wanted to try and use it for a soft start controller for an auto starter motor.
I would not expect a motor controller of this type to
operate an auto starter motor, which could draw
several hundred amps under load.

Why not find two six volt batteries and start with
one to get the motor moving, then swap to both
for full power?

Comments Welcome!
jwax

Post by jwax »

It would help to know what the starting current actually is before trying to find a controller for it. Any idea?
That electric chair controller may be rated only 100 amps or so.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Bigglez >> might not be a option if weight is a concern as it is with any light aircraft..
badtube

motor controller

Post by badtube »

Hey guys,

Thanks for relpying. I will do some experimenting and let you know.

Roger