Hoon Noise Detector

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Gotta admit .... this entire series of posts would have been enough to scare anyone off. Not quite as bad as posting to the newsgroups, but ....
True enough, and if the OP comes back with answers, I will take back my words with humility.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Hoonew?
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

probably like a "wild Gooper".. we used to take people on Wild gooper hunts.. that way you can get the gooper dust off their backs..
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

I wonder if hoon is short for hooligan.
jone886

Re: Hoon Noise Detector

Post by jone886 »

Bigglez wrote:Greetings (No Name Supplied),
jone886 wrote:I am going to design a noise detector. is there any one can suggest the working process and what development kit should i get? Thanks
It might help if you could explain what a hoon noise detector does?

Comments Welcome!
okey, i want a device that can detect the noise level of vehicles and use camera to capture the image of the vehicles that making very loud noise, and send it by using wireless. Thanks
jwax

Post by jwax »

Oh! THAT hoon noise.
Seriously though, thanks for putting up with our....shenanigans.
How about a directional microphone, amplifier with a pre-set threshold level to trigger a camera pointed at the microphones "target"?
If the noise in the target zone is above threshold, a pic is taken, and sent or stored. Certainly doable.
How to send is another matter. Cellphone? Ham bands? WiFi? How far away? Is video necessary, or are still pics adequate?
John
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

jone886 wrote:
Bigglez wrote:Greetings (No Name Supplied),
jone886 wrote:I am going to design a noise detector. is there any one can suggest the working process and what development kit should i get? Thanks
It might help if you could explain what a hoon noise detector does?

Comments Welcome!
okey, i want a device that can detect the noise level of vehicles and use camera to capture the image of the vehicles that making very loud noise, and send it by using wireless. Thanks
Check out this link for a 2 GHZ wireless camera c/w audio:

http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=15052+ST
Bigglez

Post by Bigglez »

Greetings (Still No First Name Supplied),
jone886 wrote:okey, i want a device that can detect the noise level of vehicles and use camera to capture the image of the vehicles that making very loud noise, and send it by using wireless. Thanks
How do you differentiate between traffic noise and background noise?

Comments Welcome!
jone886

Post by jone886 »

Well, if i just want to pick up the noise from the exhaust system(basicly those mod cars), and the horn. When it capture the picture, and send throught wireless.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi,

Just a thought...how will it pick up electric vehicles then?
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
Bigglez

Post by Bigglez »

Greetings Mrai,
MrAl wrote:Just a thought...how will it pick up electric vehicles then?
I think the OP is trying to trap nuisance drivers with
an unattended monitoring system. Do hybrids and electric
vehicles participate in street drag racing?

Comments Welcome!
dr_when

ah haaaaaa

Post by dr_when »

"HORN noise detector"!!!!!! What a difference an "R" makes!!!!
"Who is John Galt?"
jwax

Post by jwax »

I used to race my electric go kart. I was a nuisance.
philba

Post by philba »

actually, this is not so hard to do. The OPs definition of nuisance is noise level. That lends itself easily to detection. Given that he said "noisy", then a drag racing electric vehicle probably wouldn't trigger the sensor, assuming it wasn't loud enough. But, if it was loud, it would trigger.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

SORRY, BUT I JUST HAD TO DO THIS!
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The term "Hoon" was first used in Australia at the turn of the 20th century where it referred to a man living off immoral earnings [1] (i.e. a pimp). The origin of its current usage is currently unknown but is widely believed to be a shortened form of "hooligan" [2]. In more recent times it has been used to describe any young male or female who drives in a manner which is anti-social towards the standards of modern day society. Generally, a hoon is any person who drives any vehicle dangerously and/or fast.

The term is so widespread in Western Australia, that in 2004 the state government introduced Anti-Hoon Legislation.

These laws intend to cut down on excessive speed, street racing and illegal burnouts, all of which can be described as anti-social behaviour. Drivers caught engaging in any activity targeted by the legislation, will have the vehicle(s) involved impounded for 48 hours on the first offense, regardless of the owner(the only exemption is of the car is stolen or hired).[citation needed]

Anti-Hoon laws were also introduced in Victoria in July 2006. Offenders are liable to have their vehicle(s) confiscated and/or impounded, regardless of who owns the vehicle(s). Offences include "intentionally burning rubber", speeding, and "donuts". According to the ABC, over 130 vehicles had been confiscated as of 17 August 2006, and "more than half of the cars have been taken from probationary drivers."[3] In the twelve months after the anti-hoon laws were introduced, over 1000 cars were confiscated, the majority from probationary drivers. The anti-hoon laws have not been completely successful, however. Victorian Police tried to use them after they disrupted a large group of illegal street racers in Noble Park, Melbourne, sparking a riot when police attempted to seize a car. During the riot, a number of shops in the area were vandalised and rioters also attacked traffic that was going through the area at the time.

On 12 November 2007, it was announced that car hoons will be penalised under a NSW government initiative to wreck the vehicles of offenders and publish video footage of the destruction. Premier Morris Iemma said the plan proposes to destroy hoons' cars in demonstration tests under controlled conditions.[4]

On 4th December 2007, the NSW government announced car hoons could face potential jail time for aggravated street racing, burnouts and other dangerous driving offences [5]

WANT TO BET WHERE THE OP IS FROM?

Len