simple build radio AM/FM or Walkie Talkie project ?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
bsdme2

simple build radio AM/FM or Walkie Talkie project ?

Post by bsdme2 »

Hi folkss,

I want to learn electronic and start with the basic project. I curiously want to
know how to build a small portable radio and walkie talkie, does anyone
know where I can find a kit or step by step instruction on how to build this
electronic stuff? A few yrs ago, I saw RadioShack have small booklet
that have instruction on this stuff but now they don't have it anymore.

Any help would be grateful.

Thanks
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

How timely. Have you seen this months issue of N&V? Build a superhet on a breadboard - no soldering required and only uses 3 chips.
bsdme2

Post by bsdme2 »

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

Anyway, if you or anyone else know where I can get basic electronic project
step by step instructions, please share it with me.

Thanks alot folksssss
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Go to a kit builder site such as:
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/

They do not have a walkie talkie kit but do have plenty of transmitters and receivers. If you are just getting into electronics I recommend a basic kit to start off with. If you have never soldered on a circuit board, please do not start with a transmitter circuit; especially an FM or in the MHz range transmitter. Those bite people that have built kits and projects for years. At the higher frequencies longer wires act as inductors and change characteristics.

Something like an audio amplifier would be an excellent beginner kit. Their K4001 is a single channel, 7 watt audio amp coming in at $14USD. If you want stereo and more power, the K4003 is available for under $30.

If you do not know how to solder, you should start a little simpler. A light activated switch for example (MK125). Only $9 and a very easy kit by its looks. Even better is their kit MK137 which is an IR Remote Control Checker. Start with one of these kits to learn how to solder.

Ramsey also has transmitter kits. I strongly suggest if you don't know thing one about electronics and want to still go ahead and build a walkie talkie type thing, you start with an AM radio and AM transmitter. FM can be made but it is much more complex as the frequency is much higher and sloppy work will prevent such kits from working. If you REALLY must go down this road, start with a training kit such as their AM550K or AMFM108K; these are respectively an AM receiver and an AM/FM receiver.

I hope you find this hobby fun. Start simple, learn the basics, and the complex will become easy.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
bsdme2

Post by bsdme2 »

Hi jollyrgr....

Oh boy, you are getting me really excited here. I do have experience with
soldering cause I work for electronic manufacturing company, but I come
from computer/program field and have little knowledge about electronic
stuff, and I also been long curious about electronic already but did not
have a chance to get into it, so I decide to go into it now by starting with the
basic project just to get myself familiar and I always been interest in learning
how build radio and walkie talkie, so now is the time to get into the hobby
fun. I don't want to you guys to leave me behind and you have all the fun
in this field.

Keep the info coming, any other site, store to get resources on building
electronic would be grateful.

Thanks folksss
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

One more thing- as you gain a little knowledge and experience, pick up a copy of the ARRL manual (Amateur radio handbook) as it contains a wealth of information on the subject without getting into the deep,deep math.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Why not look around for one of the Vellman kits that are available?

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.