Text-to-speech module or IC suppliers

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
SETEC_Astronomy

Text-to-speech module or IC suppliers

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

Can anyone point me to a few text-to-speech modules or an IC with the same function? I know I've run across several suppliers of text-to-speech modules but now that I'm in the market for one I can't seem to find them. I seem to remember that N&V had an issue within the past year that featured text-to-speech.
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Apparently, Macs and Windows XP have text to speech capabilities.

You might google "hawking text to speech".

Bob
psycho

Post by psycho »

Parallax has one (had?)... also try entering the following into google:
"text to speech" +IC
And check out the results.

Kevin
jwax

Post by jwax »

Sick pic Bob.
SETEC_Astronomy

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

I finally found the chip I was looking for that I remembered from a N&V article, it's called the speakjet and is available from speechchips.com. Unfortunately you need two of their chips for a complete solution and the total cost is $40. :( For that much money I could buy a used laptop off of ebay or craigslist, load it with linux and run an open source text-to-speech program like espeak. It's a shame I was really hoping to find a cost effective IC solution. I've downloaded the source to espeak in the hopes of somehow porting it to a PIC micro. Espeak is written in C and as long as I find a powerful enough chip and use the espeak algorithms their is a minute possibility of success, I hope. If anyone knows of a homebrew uC version I'd love to know about it.