Modify NTSC Tuner to ATSC Digital Tuner?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Janitor Tzap

Modify NTSC Tuner to ATSC Digital Tuner?

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Has anyone considered doing this?

My reason:

I have these portable TV's that are battery/AC powered.

I would like to see how hard it would be to replace the old VHF/UHF Tuners,
With a Digital ATSC Tuner?

If it would require also modifying the Vertical & Horizontal Sweep sections of the TV set.
Then I would concede that it isn't worth the trouble.

Anyone?

Signed:Janitor Tzap
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I don't think its not worthwhile for a small TV. A digital tuners native output is digital, you would need another stage to make it into composite RF and L,R audio. At that point, you have a set top box.

Look for more ATSC tuners built into DVD recorders and for falling prices in that arena. I also expect to see more choices in chipsets. One of which may satisfy your requirement but I bet it will be in a BGA package.

I am hopeful that the next crop of digital media players will have digital TV tuners as well. One problem I recall is that digital TV signals are not well revieved by moving tuners. The electronics can compensate for multipath while stationary but not while moving. Another broadcast standard was being worked on to allow mobile DTV at resolutions realistic for mobile devices. So it may actually be a few years before we see that.

The loss of portable TV is a consequence of the turn off of NTSC that I had not realized until just now. Good thing portable media playerers and some cell phone plans are filling that void.

I did manage to find a USB ATSC tuner this month for $35. Not bad at all.

Those small NTSC TVs may find another life as monitors for Analog video still common in home security cameras, nanny cams, etc. They can still recieve retransmitted analog video from say that obsolete VCR rabbit.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

in all the sci-fi movies and shows i see,,there is no tv or movies..
just virtual devices..holo-decks etc.. Hmmm why watch the movie when you can be init...lol
gmclam

ATSC reception

Post by gmclam »

You are better off to wait a short time (1Q08) and purchase one of the new converter boxes. They are suppose to cost about $50 and will handle reception, down-rezzing pictures to 480i, and outputting the signal as RF and/or baseband.

Take a look at all the stages needed to receive ATSC. It is not just demodulating the signal (which will only provide a digital bitstream anyway); you have to "assemble" the data, pick out what you want, and decode the audio & video from MPEG to something you can use. As time goes on, more and more broadcasts will be in HD (720P or 1080i), you'll also need a scaler to convert that to 480i for your old TV.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

"You are better off to wait a short time (1Q08) and purchase one of the new converter boxes. They are suppose to cost about $50 and will handle reception, down-rezzing pictures to 480i, and outputting the signal as RF and/or baseband. "

Plus the US government is supposed to subsidize $40 dollars of that cost and will allow two per household.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Uh Guys,

These are Portable Battery Operated TVs.
Getting a converter box to hang onto the outside of the TV has its problems.

#1) You have to supply power to the convert box some how.
#2) Some how strap the convert box to the TV.
{This is inconvenient for a 2.5" LCD Pocket TV.}

I did do some searching for Portable TVs that are ATSC ready.
But there isn't that many out there.
The reviews from the owners of these sets were lack luster at best.
Poor reception, and picture quality only slightly better than NTSC.:sad:

Signed:Janitor Tzap
gmclam

Post by gmclam »

Yeah I knew we were talking about portable TVs. And the OP wanted to just put in a digital tuner. LOL. I highly suspect the converter boxes will be powered from "wall warts", which are typically DC. It shouldn't be a big problem for someone to provide battery power to the converter in addition to the TV.

All things considered, while not the least expensive option, one "easy" way to have a portable digital TV is to use a laptop with an ATSC tuner connected. There are several USB tuners out there. Note that the cheap tuners use the PC for the processing. I'd recommend one of the more expensive tuners with "hardware (accelerators)" so it can be used with a slower PC.

Good luck