Popular Electronics Magazine

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
zap101

Post by zap101 »

Hey everyone...
This is my first post...I have been looking for a certain article in a very old Popular Electronics Magazine...Does any one know where to View Obtain Buy a copy of older Pop. Electronics magazines...The article I am looking for was about constructing a magnet which induced eddy currents in many types of non-ferrous metals and then attracted them(this magnet would pick up coins) I used to have stacks of old Pop Electronics mags way back when now I cannot find any...
Thanks,
mike
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Zap
Don't know if this will answer your request, but give this site a try:
http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/PopularEle ... lectronics

Dean Huster may be your "go to guy" on this.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

OOPS! Forgot the htm.
Copy and Retry

www.swtpc.com/mholley/PopularElectronics/ Popular_Electronics.htm
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

I think that the article that you are looking for was published in the late 1950s or early 1960s, probably after 1959 and before 1963.

University Microfilms put Popular Electronics on microfilm at one point. Some public libraries purchased these to replace the hard copies in their periodical collections. Two possibilities would be the main branch of the public library in a large city or the electrical engineering library in a large college.

Unfortunately, Popular Electronics was not a technical journal. It is far easier to find an IRE paper from the 1920s than to find a Popular Electronics article from the 1960s.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Yes, I do remember that article, is how to build a magnet for aluminium.

It shows a picture of aluminium washers hanging from the electromagnet. I would have to search among a big pile of magazines; will come back if I find it. I believe was not that old, perhaps in the eighties.
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

There are a lot of magnetic materials out there, Al-Nico being one of the oldest.

Aluminum and nickel.
zap101

Super Strong Magnet

Post by zap101 »

The issue I have discovered is the Sept 1962 Issue...Green with a guy using a home-made metal detector on the cover...The article is called "Build the "Super Strong" magnet"...
If anyone has a stack of 60s Pop Electronics For Sale Please let me know...
Thx.
mike
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

If this is the issue you were referring to- the complete article can be downloaded at the aforementioned website.
zap101

Close but no Cigar...

Post by zap101 »

Dear Robert,
Thanks anyway, but that is not the issue I am looking for.I am looking for the Sept 1962 issue...among others which are NOT on the aforementioned website, although I did download some great old projects from that site...Many thx Rob. I am currently bidding on a box lot of Poptronics (on E-Slay) which has the aforementioned issue...
Thx,
mike
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Yes, I did note that you mentioned 1962, but he cover matched your description so well that I thought the year might have been in error. Good luck in your hunt.
zap101

close but no Cigar...

Post by zap101 »

No Prob ROB..The covers are real similar...I had to look closely...
Thx Again,
mike
Darrell M

Post by Darrell M »

zap101

I have the article you are looking for. It is from the Sept. 1962 issue of Popular Electronics. I don't have the whole magazine but I had taken the pages out and put them in my files. Let me know if you want a copy. I will send it for free.

Darrell M
Nebraska
Edd

Post by Edd »

Zap"ster" 101 :

I pulled your relevant info and digitized it for you and will tack it on as the tailer to this post such that any others can share it, if also of interest.
Before I even had seen any info as to what technique that the the article was utilizing I was about to suggest the fabrication of the
bulk of a unit by utilizing the core material from an old Variac that had been scrapped due to its peripheral windings getting damaged.
beyond repair.
I could not come up with my actetate sheet with its micro semitone dots on it, such that the reproduced clarity of a photo is enhanced when placed
atop that photograph, and with it then being either Xeroxed or scanned , but I see that the only photo of question would be the one with the hand holding a lam strip as it was being lined up in a circle to form the close looped core . Really nothing of importance construction info wise.
Seems like everything else came out with adequate clarity.
I was surprised to have seen the cover articles that both people mentioned, as covering metal detector circuits, the one shown in the '67's posts pic, being the "walking beam" type of detector for greater depth coverage, while the one on your articles front cover was the common loop detector. I certainly remember building that unit back at that time , completely using parts from my "junque" (hi class parts) box and only having to shell out for a loop of pristine copper tubing to use for the Faraday shielding of the loops winding. A natural wood finish + clear lacquer broom stick being the handle. I intermittently used that unit from that '60ish time on up into the mid '80's when a new associate saw me using it and JUST had to have it........and he did......for $100... and he thought that was a bargain. Seems like he was pricing referencing to the popular and high dollar Garrett units of that time frame.

Well....... happy demagnetizing...( if you happen to utilize it in yet another way).

73's de Edd
[email protected] ...........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected].........(Firewalled*Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
:grin: :razz: :grin:

<b>Ever wonder what the speed of lightning would be if it didn't zigzag?</b>

P.E. PHOTOS....

Or available individually online as :

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/4735 ... ge1kw5.gif
http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/6717 ... ge2cd9.gif
http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/6064 ... ge3sv7.gif
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8892 ... leaoa1.gif
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/8465 ... ageeu2.gif

zap101

Many Thanks Edd!!!!

Post by zap101 »

Exactly what I wanted...MANY THANKS!!!
Speaking of DE-MAGNETIZING, this project is for my neices science fair and they have been warned about computers and all...

Many Thanks,
mike
slamer

AC powered Aluminum magnet

Post by slamer »