Memorex DVD Player

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
fish5

Memorex DVD Player

Post by fish5 »

When I put a DVD in it just says it's loading and never does anything else. I hate that, any help on the above.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Try another disk, some are just bad.

Try a different brand.

Also the recorder can do this and if so, not much you can do other than replace it.

Memorex anything isn’t my favorite brand, but one CD player from old was ok and didn’t screw up? Cant say that about their disks.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi,

fish:
It would help if you gave us a little more information too.
Are you burning disks or just trying to run a store bought disk??

Chris:
Have you tried any Memorex disks that you purchased very recently,
like within the past 6 months or so?
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Al .......No I just gave up purchasing Memorex.

One player was good but it did succumb to time.

It mainly it did its job but it did squawk at me a lot.

That one was over ten years ago and my Memorex disc purchases are at least five years old now.

I have so many brands to chose from, I just stay clear of that brand.

Sony CD players are like that too, no luck at all with any of their models.

Multiple customer complaints, and all of my Sony’s died a early death.
shillyard

Post by shillyard »

I bought a 50 pack of Sony CD-r disks , only one in four burned. I now use HP disks. I have heard a lot of bad news about Sony recently.
If its not worth repairing its not worth buying.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Some of the top companies must be sub letting?

I just don’t like them.

Too many horror stories.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

DVD writeables have been driving me nuts this week. I have three spindles of CompUSA discs. The first spindle never gave me problems. The second spindle I just opened today worked fine for the first disc. The ones after it kept giving a WRITE CALIBRATION ERROR when I went to burn. I put in a Sony DVD+RW and no problem.

I use a program called DVD Identifier. http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/ It has no idea who made the CompUSA discs. This may explain my problems with them. Check your discs and look for the real make of the item. If none is listed suspect that Memorex subcontracted the job to a lower end company. DVD Identifier claims Sony made the DVD+RW discs. (As does Nero INFO TOOL). These have been problem free. I didn't want to use the Sony discs as they are RWs and slightly more expensive. But at 39 cents a disc VS 16 cents a disc I figured the backup of my HD was more important.

The Imation DVD+R discs I have are made by CMC Magnetics. These worked fine in my TV DVD recorder (at first). Now they get half way through a full disc then corrupt. Buring on a computer has so far not been a problem.

CD-Rs tended to be made by one or two companies despite the printed names on them.

Now, to your problem. WHAT?!?!?!?!?! Are you trying to play a disc on a computer, laptop, or in a DVD player? Is this a store bought disc? Is it a rental? Is it a disc you burned and can be read by a computer but not the player? More information please! I'm giving my two cents based on what others are posting. If you give us more information we might be able to give more than two cents worth of an answer.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!