Shipping and Handling

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Ed B.

Shipping and Handling

Post by Ed B. »

Hi All,

I am a hobbyist. Sometimes I just need one or two 16 volt electrolytic caps - one or two resistors quarter watt - maybe two little transistors.

All of the mail order places that I know want to charge me anywhere from 5 to 7 dollars for shipping and handling when the items weigh, at most, an ounce or two and are tiny besides.

Anyone know of a cheaper source for small items like these ?

Ed B.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi Ed,

Post *all* the part numbers here and i'll be glad to look them up
for you. How much in a hurry are you for these parts?
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
philba

Post by philba »

Ed, check out USPS delivery options - often times they are quite good for very small orders. Mouser and Digikey do. I've ordered stuff from mouser that was around 3.50 for delivery.

In general, when when you order something from a mailorder place, take the opportunity and stock up on some things you know you will need. I keep a list of stuff I will need someday and when I place an order I start with the list.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Seeing the way Digikey and Mouser have to hand count, bag, count, rebag, label, label again then pack in an oversize box with air pillows then label again. I can see why it cost so much to handle it. I'd like to see their sorting room.

At least some of those basics might be at a local radio shack. Though premium priced there, it still beats S&H

What city do you live near. Is it safe to assume there are no electronics stores nearby?

I suggest you post your list in the "Up for Grabs" section of the forum because people here seem willing to share.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

A lot of company warehouses are bar coded and computer drawn from the shelf like a lot of pharmacies handling small quantities.

Unfortunately they have to amortize the cost of the machinery, instead of hiring a lot of illegals for less?

6 of one, half dozen of the other.

They pretend like good citizens.
mnboy

Post by mnboy »

So Chris is saying that the only way warehouse work will get done is by robot or by illegals???

From my experience in the electronics industry I subscribe to haklesup's theory, receive, break down, count, repack, relabel, stock, then pick and pack for shipment.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

If it is just a few and the values are somewhat common, you can probably salvage what you need from junk equipment.

It's just one of those things where less cost more so maybe you should build bigger projects or buy extra and stock the spares for the next projects.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

mnboy, ...never assume, just face the facts, look at what is out there, and remember opinions are like blank blanks, ever body has one.

I don’t subscribe to any one's opinion, most factories use one of two basic methods, they hire a lot of cheap labor, or they automate if they want to stay in business.
Ed B.

Post by Ed B. »

Guys -
Thanks for your replies.
My 'shopping list' was just a 'made-up' example of a small order. I do not need that specific list of items.
For some small projects I do use Radio Shack (when they carry specific needs). My location is about 45 miles North of Tampa.
My last construction item used 6 various resistors, 5 caps(discs, tantalum, electrolytic), a wire wrap socket, a one turn pot, a couple led's, spdt switch, 555 timer, 1 mosfet, 12 volt bulb, a wall wart and a couple other small items.
I guess I'll just have to live with the situation.
Thanks again,
Ed B.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

If I point my google maps at Tampa and type in "Electronic Parts Retail", I get a dozen or so possibilities. Three of the most promising (by name only) are:

Direct Components Inc - more info »
4828 W Gandy Blvd, Tampa, FL
(813) 835-3883
Category: Electronic Equipment & Supplies-Retail

Corel USA Components - more info »
10114 43rd Way, Pinellas Park, FL
(727) 579-9201
Category: Electronic Equipment & Supplies-Retail

All Electronic Parts - more info »
2114 Drew St # G, Clearwater, FL
(727) 532-4532

Give em' a call to screen who has a parts showroom and who are just likely named companies. There were others worth looking into also. Some may be distributors but may waive the shipping if you "will call" the parts and pick them up yourself.