New promising solar cell...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Externet

New promising solar cell...

Post by Externet »

Hi.
Cutting Edge Technology Labs developed last week a 71.2% efficient solar cell, using nanotubes materials !
That WILL change the expectations of arabs.

http://www.nanotech.net/buckycells.tsriflirpa/

Miguel :grin:
jwax

Post by jwax »

Link no worky.
But then, it is April 1.............. :shock:
Can we believe you Miguel?
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Solar cells not using pure materials like silicon have been around for a hundred years. So what if they cost pennies to make per square foot and produce less than pure silicon cells.

Plated Glass, plastics, etc, all can produce energy for pennies per watt compared to pure small efficient silicon cells, but then you have trade in your Rolls Royce for the Volks Wagon while it does the same job for less using more space.

And Glass solar replaces tar roof panels and last longer.

But where is the buck in that economy? [we give it to the arabs]
jwax

Post by jwax »

I've heard that Arabian sand is what makes the most efficient silicon solar cells.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

That’s the mentality that keeps the arabs sucking your wallet dry.

I say the the Bank of Arabs had their shot, but you still want them rulling your wallet, and that is all too obvious.

Probably why Haliburton just moved their headquarters over to the arab lands, they saw your kind coming.
Bob Scott

Re: New promising solar cell...

Post by Bob Scott »

So, I wonder what you get when you try to pronounce ".tsriflirpa/" backwards?

:grin:

Bob
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

The best “April Firstâ€
hp

Post by hp »

[quote="Chris Smith"]The best “April Firstâ€
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi there,

I have been hearing about new solar cells for the last
TWENTY YEARS now. Yes, that's 20 years, not 2 years, not
5 years, but 20 years!! I have yet to see ONE. Yes, that's a
'1' with no zeros after it.

When they are manufacturing them in the hundreds of thousands
per week and they are not $2,000,000.00 each then i'll believe what
they say.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

AL,.....BP, Haliburton, and other Oil friends will keep that day away as long as they can bribe and lobby.

Its old, but money talks and so don’t hold your breath until all of Haliburton is firmly in Kuwait and not paying a dime of taxes. They already announced that day is on the way.

Up dates?

98SE works best with out a single update from gates and I intend to keep it that way.

The other operating systems with all of their problems are reserved for the customers, not my self.

I just fix their screw ups.

98 is rock solid, simple, even if they are trying hard to phase it out.

I figure that by the time 98 is actually phased out by the big wigs and it becomes obsolete, Bill Gates will have had the time to Fix XP completely, [service pack 29] and Ill pick up a free copy.

I have every version of windows including windows 3.1, and 98 still gives me the least of headaches.

If I need fancy, I just use one of my other computers.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Photovoltaic systems for the home are available here and now, if only we'd put our priorities in order-
Instead of paying $20K for that new depreciating car in the driveway, put $20K into a PV system and make money off it- for the next 20 years.
PV has never been more affordable, here and now. True, it'll take a blow to the head and a cheap price tag to attract average joe American to buy one, but we know what's available now.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

The concept that you have to take out a second mortgage to pay for one comes from big oil and big business.

Solar has been around for more than 100 years, and less efficient dirt cheap systems made out of recycled glass and metal vapor polymerized plastics do cost pennies per square, compared to the super efficient mega bucks for pure silicon cells.

Getting this country to wake up and be aware is the only real challenge.

Just last month big business still tried to pretend global warming is just a conspiracy,... leaving only one hope for their kind, lots of children and grand children to clean up their mess, assuming we make it.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

chris smith >>> HERE HERE ! :D i am the same way with 98se..
didn;t get a update for the time DST..but no matter anyway... i just changed my global time offset..and turned off the automatic DST function,,, no problems here...;)

JWAX >>> europe has us beat hands down when it comes to solar or wind technology and use... everytime i go back there for vacation i see more and more solar use..and i do not mean the small stuff either, i am talking about MeggaWatts.. in my home town a small town...on a old hill..used to be a landfill..its a 500ft tall hill park now..with a scenic over look of the town and nearby city...and on the otherside of the hill is 2.6MW
of solar electric panels..its neet, at the bottom of the hill is a billboard that shows how much power was produced that day and for the week..and the current output also... on a full moon night...the hill produces about 2-3 kilowatts of power...lol GO LUNAR POWER ! :D