Does anyone know if I can get ELECTRONICS IUSTILLATED

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Craig Kendrick Sellen

Does anyone know if I can get ELECTRONICS IUSTILLATED

Post by Craig Kendrick Sellen »

IS THERE SUCH A PLACE WERE YOU CAN GET BACK ISSUES OF ELECTRONIC MAGAZINES SUCH AS ELECTRONICS IUSTILLATED, RADIO & TV EXPERIMENTER, ELELAMENTRY ELECTRONICS, AND POPULAR ELECTRONICS BACK IN THE 50'S & 60'S ON MICROFILM OR MAYBE CD? :eek: http://www.msnusers.com/103pennywhistler
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

Popular Electronics, and possibly some of the other magazines, were placed on microfilm by University Microfilm (at one time a Xerox subsidiary). Some public libraries have these microfilm records. Full size copies can be made from these records for a few cents per page.
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Sorry this isn't any help, but I just remembered seeing a few 70's issues of "Popular Electronics" when I was cleaning up the shack. Directly under the title was "Ideas For Men in Electronics" or something similar. I ran out and showed it to my wife! She wasn't as amused as I was!!! <sigh>
Dave
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Well if you don't mind a quick 200 mile drive south, I suggest the US Library of Congress Periodicals room in Washington DC.

Before you rush out the door though, check the catalog online to see what to expect. http://catalog.loc.gov/ My quick looked showed Radio electronics 1948 issues

As far as getting personal copies, you'll have to ask them how to print microfilm stuff, you can't check stuff out of the LOC. I know of no commercial outlet for such old magazines. If you're lucky, you'll find a library somewhere with reletively complete collections. Ask your local librarian to help, the national library loan program could probably get the films or binded copies in your local branch in a week or so if they exist. Your area also has a few universities that may house such a collection.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/loan/

Good Luck, let us know how much you find and where. I know others have asked similar questions.
danbob

Post by danbob »

most libraries subscribe to places that have these magazines in PDF files. go talk to your librarian and they will help you.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

"Ideas For Men in Electronics"
That was Radio-Electronics that had that tag line under the title on the cover. It was reworded and then eliminated as Gernback became more PC.

Most state colleges and universities have specialty engineering campuses, e.g, University of Missouri's Rolla campus or Oklahoma State University in Stillwater. Their libraries have a technical emphasis and will usually have many of these older magazines bound or on microfilm or microfiche. I used to spend long hours back in the late 1960s at the library in Rolla looking at all the old issues of QST dating from the 1930s and 1940s.

I have a massive collection of the old electronics hobbyist magazines, including Electronics Illustrated, Radio/TV Experimenter, Popular Electronics, Electronics World, Radio-Electronics, etc. Unfortunately, they're in storage and inaccessible at the moment, but I've kept them just so I can help out folks like you who need copies of articles. One day, I'll get the space so that I can free up these magazines so they can be of benefit for something other than a corrugated box.

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.