AG13 batteries and laser pointers

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Newz2000

AG13 batteries and laser pointers

Post by Newz2000 »

Is there something special about AG13 batteries that makes them suitable for use in laser pointers? It seems they all come with two sets, and the batteries are not cheap when bought separately.

Can you replace them with a few AAA or more readily available coin cells?
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Those little button batteries can be cheap, by the dozen.

"All electronics".

They are for size and fit ONLY, while the 1.5 volt larger battery works just the same, but you need a way of fitting them.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

The AG13 is just a 1.5V button battery.
You can use 1.5V N /AAA batteries with out any problem,
except you can't get them into the Laser Pointer's Battery Holder.

American Science & Surplus
www.sciplus.com
They sell the AG13 Batteries for $1.95 / 10 in a package.
Cat# 92524

Thou....
I've picked up a Laser Pointer from my local Dollar Store for a buck, with the batteries.
And they also had these Mini-Key Chain Lights that came with the same AG13 batteries to power them for a buck.

So, I bought some of the Key Chain Lights just for the 8 AG13 Batteries that came with them.

Check your local Dollar Store, they may have these Key Chain Lights.

Signed:Janitor Tzap
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

The AG13 is a silver oxide cell. This has two characteristics that would be useful in a laser pointer. First, the cell has a low impedance and can deliver relative high currrents with low voltage drop. Second, the discharge curve is exceptionally flat, which means the the voltage is very close to the starting value until the cell is nearly discharged.

If the laser pointer is using a simple resistor for currrent limiting, it may be depending on these characteristics.