Disgusting!

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Robert Reed

Disgusting!

Post by Robert Reed »

I openend up the forum this morning and saw 10 new posts - WOW! Wow, that is until a closer look revealed 8 of them were spam. Thats %80 SPAM - a new record I think. Add to that they are frequently invading valid posts with replys and it is becoming ---well, Disgusting! And by and large it is almost always sexual related material. Don't get me wrong. I think sex is great, but definately not on this forum. How did this get started? How can we make it go away. It has become a VIRUS which is degrading this forum and getting worse by the week.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Leave them something “specialâ€
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i agree, this forum is going to shit in a hand basket and fast :(
this forum is not even appropiate for kids now.. and i know a few that were interested in it,, but now their parents have forbid this site..

i cannot belive this cannot be more controlled better...
the old forum was much better..
need to find another form of this forum... even in MSN forums its more controled than here..
at least the operater of the sites have to personally approve you before letting you register.. here its just a free for all.. *mad* & discouraged
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Dac, please forward your letter to Larry at......

Larry Lemieux
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]

I have already sent a letter of disapproval, and reasons like yours makes the point even further.

I have added in some simple solutions and there is no reason to put up with this smut, ......yet some one is not getting off their cans to do any thing about it.

Write your letter to Larry in protest, nothing else seems to be happening.

Very SAD indeed!
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi again,

Yes for some reason lately there have been a lot of Ad hits.
It doesnt make too much sense, why would they want to post
on a site for electronics. They must be really hard up for advertisement.

Anyway, did some housekeeping so the forum is looking clean again.
Been a little busy this week working on three systems almost at the
same time. Still got a little ways to go yet.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
amelecsol2000

Spam

Post by amelecsol2000 »

Too bad there is not a way that we "the real members" could eliminate it as it is posted. The moderators do a good job but can't always be online. But there are enough real members of this forum that there is always somone logged on at any given time. This way it could be 100% eliminated
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Hmm, A2000.... I wish I had thought of that. Oh yeah, I did. Oh well,
Dave
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

The squeaky wheel get the grease, while silence from every one falls on deaf ears.

Its time to put an end to “the ####3 Channelâ€
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

The "Twysted Pair" electronics forum gets a lot of spam also.

A nearly spam-free forum is the Antique Radios forum at http://www.antiqueradios.com You might ask Alan Voorhees, the owner, what methods he uses to eliminate the stuff.

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Sorry folks at the moment I'm in your country (California,for work), so the time window, we had going between AL and Me isn't working.

I'll be back in Australia on Saturday your time.

One of the problems is not the posting as such, but there are a number of bogus members, many the same person with multiple log ons.

This is where it would be helpful if we had a system whereby new members had to have the first 5 or so posts moderated, fail the test and they don't get posting rights,pass and they do.

Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

f we had a system whereby new members had to have the first 5 or so posts moderated,
Sounds like a good extension to a post I made elsewhere in the forum. Have all new member posts pre-moderated, not posted until read by a moderator, only then (for legits) will that member-name be added to the database. I'm sure a few more of us would help take on the load.
"if it's not another it's one thing."
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Sorry, "the smut" has won over the simple sales as it is more than obvious.

ANY method to stop them has be shelved by this staff as its too costly, at all of he customers expense.

If it were serious for real, it would have been implemented long ago, but some at the top don’t see the seriousness of this issue pissing into the wind and holding their breath.

I can see them losing ALL of their credibility while holding their breath and taking years to recover from their piss weak attitude.

One dollar for another, drain your expense now, and cant see it, lose your ass as it should be....

HOW stupid.....

Like one party of the government, I hope they take a half century to regain what they had no reason to lose in the first place,...their dignity.

Grow up, deal with this crap or simply lose.

Cover your ass some where else, its your name and you own it, now fix the damn thing or else...

at least, when tried to use "some words" they came out useless, thats a start...
Yerry

Post by Yerry »

Odd. . . Anyone besides me recall a certain someone here (posting on THIS thread!) who two years ago or so posted a series of highly inflammatory posts, filled with, ahem, "alternative lifestyle oriented" insults? I wouldn't be surprised if the spambots zeroed in on those posts and started all of this.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

If there were any “alternative lifestyle oriented insultsâ€
Yerry

Post by Yerry »

Would they? You know as well as everyone else that the board was recently cleared out. Don't let the difference between "posts like that aren't here any more" with "posts like that were never made" confuse you-- or something to hide behind.