Rocket PIC on FTP, when?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
tdiaz

Rocket PIC on FTP, when?

Post by tdiaz »

Just wondering when the Rocket PIC code is going to show up on the FTP site as it mentioned in the article from the Oct. 2002 issue. I ordered the stuff to build the unit with some customization, so I have $50 worth of stuff headed my way but the code is not available yet. <p>I emailed [email protected] last Friday (a week ago) and got no response either, at that time there was nothing from the Oct. issue available on the site, since then 4 things have shown up.<p>Tony
bodgy

Re: Rocket PIC on FTP, when?

Post by bodgy »

Huh your lucky, I won't even receive the October Issue until the middle-end of November.<p>Awful lot of refuelling stops needed to fly to Oz, especially when it's via Denmark.<p>
bodgy (just received September Issue)
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
tdiaz

Post by tdiaz »

Well, it's been two weeks and three emails to [email protected] - DOES ANYONE EVEN READ that email?<p>The article author did send me the source code to the Rocket PIC vie email. However without a $250 compiler that does no good and even shrinking it down to below 900 bytes - taking out half the count down and making variables all one letter, making pause values of 100, 99 instead - stripping out every extra byte possible to compile it on the free compiler online at compilespot.com does not work. It keeps saying the file is too big yet it's 767 bytes. <p>I emailed back right away (over a week ago now) that the source (at the time) would be fine as long as I could compile it with MPLAB from the Microchip site, and he offered to send the binary if I needed that instead - well, my comment on the MPLAB should have been enough I would have thought. .. last Friday I resorted to sending $15.95 via PayPal instead, maybe money would get some attention. Not a reply either.<p>The N&V Editor refuses to reply or the email is ignored, if the latter is the case then get that address OFF the web because it's stupid to say "contact us" (so we can round file it). Three weeks, three emails, nada. <p>I went ahead and ordered the items needed to build the stuff featured in the article based on N&V history and standing - that the article copy said that the needed binary would be made available via FTP. .. I notice the incoming folder was touched over the weekend, so maybe something showed up in there .. <p>Does anyone have PIC BASIC Pro that could compile this file for me and email me back the binary? We're going to launch this weekend and I thought a "digital" launch controller would be a neat addition to Civil Air Patrol rocket launch day for us. .. <p>Thanks.<p>Tony
[email protected]
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

I'm lost on your $15 bit, but I can compile it if you want, and email it to you. I would offer to program a chip for you but I live in Oz so that might not be practical.<p>colin
tdiaz

Post by tdiaz »

Hey, cool. Thanks,<p>The bit about the $15 was that I sent $15 to the author of the article via PayPal - in giving up since he sent me the source code only and never responded to my second email - I 'gave in' and paid double the amount (with shipping understood) to get a programmed chip even though I had already bought some PICs and everything else needed, and even that email went unanswered, going on 4 days now.<p>I just can't belive that no one else has said anything about the lack of the files being on the FTP site and that N&V themselves don't seem to care either. <p>Did you get your issue in Oz yet? <p>Tony
tdiaz

Post by tdiaz »

'launch1.pbp 07/08/2000 By William Ruehl
'Operating code for model rocket launch system.<p>i VAR WORD
wirechk VAR PORTA.4 'Input
wireok VAR PORTA.2 'LED Output
go_launch VAR PORTA.3 'LED Output
launchbtn VAR PORTA.1 'Keyswitch Input
spkr VAR PORTA.1 'Piezo Element Output
safetylck VAR PORTA.0 'Push Button Input<p>Main:
High spkr
Pause 100
Low spkr
Input launchbtn<p> While safetylck = 1 ' Hold here if key lock has been left on
High PORTB.4 ' "-"
Pause 150
Low PORTB.4 ' "-"
High PORTB.7 ' "|"
Pause 150
Low PORTB.7 ' "|"
Wend<p> While wirechk = 0
High wireok
Pause 400
Low wireok
Pause 400
Wend<p> High wireok

While safetylck = 0
Pause 10
Wend<p> High go_launch<p> While launchbtn = 0
TRISB = %00000000
PORTB = %11101011 '0
Pause 100
PORTB = %00000000 'Blank
Pause 100
Wend<p>cntdown:
PORTB = %11111010 '9
Pause 1000
PORTB = %11111011 '8
Pause 1000
PORTB = %01101000 '7
Pause 1000
PORTB = %11011011 '6
Pause 1000
PORTB = %11011010 '5
Pause 1000
PORTB = %10111000 '4
Pause 1000
PORTB = %01111010 '3
Pause 1000
PORTB = %01110011 '2
Pause 1000
PORTB = %00101000 '1
High spkr
Pause 1000
PORTB = %11101011 '0
Pause 1000
PORTB = %00000100 'Blank Rocket away!!!!
Pause 500
PORTB = %00000000 'Blank Turn off output stage.<p>Low wireok
Low go_launch
Low spkr <p>Loop1:
For i = 1 to 25
High PORTB.0
Pause 100
Low PORTB.0

High PORTB.1
Pause 100
Low PORTB.1

High PORTB.3
Pause 100
Low PORTB.3

High PORTB.5
Pause 100
Low PORTB.5

High PORTB.6
Pause 100
Low PORTB.6

High PORTB.7
Pause 100
Low PORTB.7
Next i
GoTo Main
End
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Just received my copy<p>Colin<p>
PS If you want me to compile it I'll need an email address to post it back to you.<p>My email is in the profile section.<p>Colin
tdiaz

Post by tdiaz »

Has anyone else built the rocket launcher?
tdiaz

Post by tdiaz »

Or more specifically, has anyone actually gotten the Rocket Launcher to work? Has anyone ordered the chip and had it delivered? I send $15.95 via PayPal on Nov. 1st. have no reply or chip. <p>Email to [email protected] about the lack of availability of the promised files on the ftp site have gone completly ignored as did one phone call a week ago. <p>Nice feature/cover article, eh?<p>Or am I the only one to try to build this thing?<p>Colin compiled it using a different compiler and the resulting programmed PIC is not doing anything when installed. I've probed the schematic carefully against the resulting PCB. <p>The parts list should have also mentioned the IN751 diode, 7805 regulator, 10uF and .1uf caps - which I assume are present if you used the prototype PIC PCB shown but not if you decided to wire your own.<p>The parts list refers to 7 resistors of 180 ohm but the schematic shows 7 resistors of 240 ohm in the circuit for the LED segment display. I wired it up using 230 ohm as that was all I could find here. <p>I followed the authors theory on the rechargable battery as well, I had an old Sony MagicLink PDA with a broken LCD screen. The MagicLink uses the same InfoLithium batteries that Sony Mavica cameras and camcorders use. I have many of these and the chargers for them so mounting the battery cradle of the MagicLink in the launcher box was perfect. Additionally I have included an X10 video receiver in the launch box. I can setup wireless cameras at the launch pad and I have two nose cone setups that can go on most BT-60 type rockets, and a V-2 with a camera in the nose cone as well.<p>Tony
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i think a lot of stuff in N&V is getting too difficult for us ammatures... some articals i think are a waste too... like the lazer insight..its been what 5-6 issues ?long?
and the other one that lasted forever on alarms..some was ok,, but i was bored to death...<p>and i wonder how many actually had such interest in this?<p>seems electronics magazines are going too computer mainstream..or is it just me thinking this?
i for one do not have the money for expensive PIC stuff...and some projects are not ammature based..
and if you do attempt the project..you must,either buy the circuit board and or buy custom chips etc..<p>whould like to see more useful small fun things to make....<p>Hmmmm..i'd like to see the weekend workbench come back again !
and more on the forums and Q&A's !
just my opnion !. ok, i am done ranting...lol.....Ray.
tdiaz

Post by tdiaz »

For something to go 5 months in print is like eternity. Put a couple issues together with it and fill the interim with web content, referring to the web. (I know, somoene will complain that they don't have the web .. )<p>This is not a difficult project, but it was not complete either. The article copy referred to a PCB and the parts list did not, the parts list did not refer to the parts included on that PCB should you have decided to make your own. The parts list shows one value of resistor and the schematic indicates another. <p>How ever the entire project is totally useless without the promised PIC code, nearly useless with only the source I was emailed, when I asked for the binary - since I don't have the $250 program needed to compile that source. The free online compiler will not compile this project without considerable stripping out of the source code and even then shaving it under 700 bytes the onlineline compiler (compilespot.com) still says it's over 900 bytes. Besides, if you strip out half the countdown, whats the point in building the device?<p>The BINARY code was promised in the article, as well as the source, as an alternative you could also use PayPal and send $15.95 to get a pre-programmed PIC after which getting only the source code in email and no response afterwards I decided that maybe money would wake up someone, well, It's been 19 days and no chip, no contact, no nothing. <p>Another reader was kind enough to compile the code but it's not working and we're trying to figure that out. <p>I had hoped to gain some insight on PICs - so far all I'm seeing is frustration.<p>Just post the stuff that was promised and don't let this drag on forever, into another "it's press time" delay.<p>Otherwise my experiences with N&V projects has been positive. The closest thing to PICs I've done in the past has been FPGA/Xilinx stuff. I've made several Apple II products, hard drive controller and RAM cards mostly. <p>Tony<p>[ November 19, 2002: Message edited by: tdiaz ]</p>
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

DacFlyer,<p>Just my 2 penny'thworth, PICs don't actually have to be expensive to get into. Loads of free or restricted demo software out there and the programmer needn't be expensive.<p>If you can get hold of it I recommend having a look at EPE magazine from the UK there is a US website www.epemag.com most of their stuff these days is PIC based - they also have had build your own programmer articles and have available for free download their TK3 programming software. <p>Elektor Electronics is another one recently with a inexpensive programmer -though if usiong their PCB not quite so cheap.<p>I don't necessarily mind longish articles, EPE often has for example 6-7 month tutorials on Electronics (mainly for secondary school or entry mid-entry level students) - i suppose it all depends on what is relevent.<p>Colin
motoman9

Post by motoman9 »

Just my own opinion...
PIC's are really quite inexpensive to get involved
with, especially if you can program directly in
assembly using (free) MPLAB. I was able to buy a
well designed programmer and register the software for about $50, and the drivers have been updated well as new chips are released.
I will agree that programming in PIC assembly is a bit steep for newcomers, but there are a great deal of resources available on the internet for support.
In the past, I built a LOT of projects using 74 series chips, going with PIC's gives me resulting projects that are cheaper, more powerful, and more easily changed as my ideas are refined.<p>Just my two cents, your mileage may vary.
Lyle
JimFerraro

Post by JimFerraro »

I built the launcher but have not been able to get it to work. I must admit I am just an amateur, but I dont have the expertise to debug the circuit. I get the power LED to light but nothing happens when I turn on the key switch.
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

I don't have the schematic in front of me at the moment, but some things to check.<p>Check that there is power at the PIC's pins
Check that MCLR pin is near +5v
Check type of 7Segment LED should it be common cathode or common anode.<p>Then check voltages at the pics input/output pins<p>If you have a programmer, it might be an idea to test each segment of the program to see if it does anything.<p>Looking at the listing it should activate the buzzer at switch on for a short period.<p>I have also just noticed that I can't see from the listing provided by Tony where WIRECHCK and SAFETYLK have been made an input.<p>Now this might not be a problem as I have MBasic for Pic's and this, with some commands automatically switches the the Pics direction register with out an explicit instruction. Also the Pic powers up with pins set as inputs by default.<p>It might be worth sticking a TRISA=%00010001 just before the MAIN label.<p>Tony if your out there did you ever get yours' to work ?<p>colin