EDD ! i need you again..or someone {:>P

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

EDD ! i need you again..or someone {:>P

Post by dacflyer »

i seem to be getting all the bad luck with RCA
tv's this month Grrrr

once again i have a weird problem with another RCA
newer unit actually thats not a "CTC" model {:>O

model - 27R410T
chassis - ITC008FAM

PROBLEM >>> will not always start up. PS does not make the clean tweak sound when plugged in..B+ is about 105 volts in stand by ( tv off )and the SMPS
transformer makes a unsteady sizzling / oscillating noise.. when you turn the tv on it trys to start..after a few seconds or not at all..
but if i unplugg it, and then replugg it,, it will come on after 2-3 seconds, and my B+ comes up to full power, and then all will be running fine..
i checked every thing.. no bad solider joints , haven't found any bad caps..only 3 on the primary side of the ps..and 2 are in parallell..
can anyone give more pointers.. i am thinking some other part is flakey..but i cannot pin it down.. I HATE SMPS's !
Robert Reed

Re: EDD ! i need you again..or someone {:>P

Post by Robert Reed »

Dacflyer
I also detest Switchers. I have an RCA with a similar problem, tho not quite as severe. I dont think its the same model as yours, but may incorporate similar circuitry. I am sorry I cant offer any suggestions, but I will be following your post with keen interest.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

ok,, i usually can beat the bastards,,but 99% of the CTC models had mostly bad solider joints..always hated them with the on board tuner too...Grrrr
they are just as bad as a combo set (tv & vcr)
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I worked on one that acted just like this about a year ago (27r510 I think), and it drove me nuts. I finally tried removing the AVIO board, and it started properly every time (no video, of course). Techline told me the set will not start that way because the micro doesn't get a response from the AVIO board, but it would appear the guy I spoke to was incorrect. I never did find out why the AVIO board caused the power supply to act screwy. I did find that the old board was loading the communication bus and preventing the micro from chatting with the other devices in the set (that's why, out of desperation, I tried removing the board).

Also, I never did get Chipper Checker to talk to the set, even after the repair. A techline guy told me not to worry about it, since he almost never succeded using it with that chassis.

I find that all of these new Thomson chassis are frustrating to service.
Hope this helps. (But I realize it's a long shot)

Geoff
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

P.S.

I LOVE those CTC175+ sets with the tuner-on-board. I quit counting at 600 sets, but I've fixed a ton of them; easy fix, very few callbacks, and profitable.

But the problem shouldn't ever have been there to start with.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

I LOVE those CTC175+ sets with the tuner-on-board. I quit counting at 600 sets, but I've fixed a ton of them; easy fix, very few callbacks, and profitable.
Reminds me of the Goldstar VCR tape end sensor about 18 years ago.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Geoff , i tried removing the AVIO board,, did nothing,,still does same thing,, i am convinced its in the primary of the PS. not something loading it down.. i took all the fuzes out of the secondary side.. still does same thing too..
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i still need help on this thing..anyone have a tech suport # for RCA, i think they used to have a 1-900 #
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Go here. There is some info that might help

http://www.thomsonnetwork.com/unprotect ... CC,00.html
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

well i feel stupid as can be..
in a nut shell >> the problem was bad solider joints,, super microscopic.

how ever i learned that this sort of power supply is different than i am used to,apparently this power supply works differently, when plugged in, it does not make the typical tweak sound i am used to,,instead it acts like a soft start, and idels untill it needs full power, then the PS goes to full power...in which you hear it tweak up. but when ideling it makes a strange noise..which fooled me into thinking the PS was the problem, a local tv shop lent me the RCA CD
with all the tech files, nice ! i made me a copy of it too :p
anyway,.thanks to all for your patience.