Bedini motor

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Adam Y.

Bedini motor

Post by Adam Y. »

Why/how/Does it/Doesn't it work? Im thinking it's a free energy myth but I can't figure out why. There are schematics too.
http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory: ... plications
Chris Smith

Re: Bedini motor

Post by Chris Smith »

I didnt read the whole thing, but isnt it just a crude motor?
jwax

Post by jwax »

No Chris- it's unadulterated BS, IMHO!
"Implicated radiant energy infusion"? "Inductive Fractionation"? How about "Radiant energy is particulate, and 2 orders smaller than electrons"?
I'm insulted they use the name of Tesla to infer some veracity to bogus, unsupported claims.
Adam- don't buy any bridges from them. Or "motors"!
John
WA2RBA
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

It probably does work as a motor. It looks very similar to the circuit of a battery powered clock. An even earlier version may have been used to drive the tuning fork used in the Boliva Accutron watches marketed in the early 1960's.<p>The transistor and transformer form a blocking oscillator. Normally, the transistor is cut off since there is no base drive. A magnet moving toward the transformer core induces a current which turns the transistor on. Due to positive feedback through the transformer, the transistor stays on and attracts the magnet toward the core. Inertia will cause the magnet to swing past the core. By this time, the collector current may have reached a value limited by the winding resistance. Since the transformer current is no longer increasing, the drive voltage to the base drops. This causes a regenerative cutoff, and the current drops to zero, allowing the magnet to swing away from the core. This turn off might also be initiated by the motion of the magnet away from the core.<p>The unique feature seems to be the addition of a third winding to salvage part of the energy stored in the magnetic field. This is shown as charging a separate battery, but could easily be used to charge the battery used to operate the motor, extending its life to some extent. The additional parts may cost more than the energy saved.<p>In a clock, the magnet is part of the escapement, and the hands are driven by a gear train connected to the escapement.The motion is reciprocating rather than rotary, but the same basic operation occurs.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

voodoo, multi-species manure pile!<p>I clicked on one of the pictures of completed wheels. Part of the results statement: "... the input battery discharges gradually, and output batteries charge more gradually." Ah duh, anybody home? The wheel with magnets going around is more eye candy than functional part.
Dale Y
Edd

Post by Edd »

Also, if you will further look into all associated references, seems like all sorts of ''weird science'' goings on at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bedini_SG/messages
Even The Discovery Channel ref within #473.<p>Sort of reminds me of my findings at the gentle age of 9 whereupon I had just discovered the fascinating workings of a steam turbine . This being via the utilization of a tin can propped a top the stove with its internal store of water being heated and its created steam escaping from a pinhole top side then being directed onto the blades of an impeller and spinning it wildly.
Co-incidental at the time, was my building of model airplanes, so I quickly thought of the utilization of an air scoop on the front of a model….a la P51 Mustang… with the concentrated/rammed/inducted internal airflow directed to a turbine blade that connected to the frontal propeller. Just initially run with the plane to get up rammed air speed and then the impending action should power the plane. And I will just have everyone know that I consulted with the local towns…(small Texas town…pop~350)…garage mechanic to check out my preliminary engineering drawing and ask for his thoughts on the matter. After breaking loose from a dump trucks brake repair job and beating off of the stuck wheel bearings…(with many heatedly disparaging words)….he looked at my drawing and musedly remarked. “ Mmmmm yeeeaaah, son,……I ‘jes think you might have something thar.”
Thus, my first introduction to the law of diminishing returns/free energy fiasco onto such a fertile young mind. <p>73's de Edd
[email protected] .........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected].........(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)<p> ;) ;)<p>[ December 15, 2004: Message edited by: Edd Whatley ]</p>
Adam Y.

Post by Adam Y. »

Just to let you guys know. I didn't believe it worked either. It's just odd what people actually think will work.
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

Hello Edd:<p>It sounds like your were reading Alfred Morgan's "The Boy Mechanic" or one of his other books. These books were being culled out of the Los Angeles School District libraries a couple of years ago because they were politically incorrect. They weren't writtten to appeal to girls and were perceived as reinforcing gender stereotyping.<p>These were some of the few books that actually taught a child how technical devices worked by building simple versions of them. If I remember correctly, these books also described a steam engine and a device for displaying sound waveforms using a flickering flame and a scanning mirror, as well as other interesting devices. But it's politically correctness uber alles these days.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Cool Adam!
WA2RBA
jwax

Post by jwax »

The only good thing about the "weird 'science'" gang is a.) anybody that believes in it is a nut job, and easily identifiable as one and b.) it actually may cause some oddball to stumble on something useful, because they are scientifically clueless in their activity. Accidents happen- Teflon was stumbled upon, Velcro, many others.
Just don't wtite them a check! :D
WA2RBA
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Did anyone catch MythBusters last night? They had a segment on "Free Energy" including the Bedini Motor. Damn thing started up slowly ,raised in speed, then slowed down to a crawl and finally stopped. BUSTED on national TV!!!<p>CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
jwax

Post by jwax »

CaeSar- Did they do an energy in vs. energy out comparison, or showed a "revolutionary" motor being driven by a battery or two?
What is it that got "busted"?
WA2RBA
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

They (Jamie and Adam) pulled several "free energy" plans off the net and built all of them one by one. The first one was some bizarre scheme to capture space waves and convert them to energy. The test had 2 motors hooked to singular lithium bateries, one with the space wave gadget (looked like 3 transistors wired together on a circular template) and the other straight through. Space gadget died first.<p>2nd was a device to convert radio waves into energy. It had a box mounted PC board stuffed with components hooked to a ?30'? long wire antenna. Sure they came up with about 1/2 volt, but who is going to use something that huge to harness so little energy when a button battery will outperform it hands down.<p>3rd was the Bedini Motor - called the Holy Grail by some. There was a setup with a serious motor - looked like a starter motor fom a truck -, flywheel - possiby with magnets on it ala lawnmower flywheel, a coil board and battery. All this was wired together as per the plan, and when the switch was flipped, off it went! It ran and Jamie said he didn't need a meter tell him what was going on - he could hear the whine of the contraption. First it took its time getting up to speed, then increased in speed slightly, then died a slow, battery draining death.<p>Last was a heat engine made of 6 or 8 propane tanks bolted together in a spoked wheel fashion, with each opposite tank piped together. Theory is you set this mess up like a water wheel with the bottom tank resting in water. As the liquid in the tank is warmed by the water, which is supposed to be warmed by the sun, the liquid will "boil" into the opposite tank through temperature differential causing the upper tank to become heavy enough to pull the wheel in one direction. They let it run for over an hour and it didn't even rotate 1 full turn.<p>The conclusion they came up with is that while some of these schemes may actually work somewhat, they are so inefficient as to be "false" ideas or non-plausible ideas, hence the myth(s) surrounding them are "busted".<p>All this while building black powder rockets to test the story of the Ming Dynasty Astronaut and assembling a life-like bust out of ballistics gel, pig spine and human cranium to test the stories of decapitation by ceiling fans. What a cool episode!<p>Here's a blurb from Discovery's site and a link to their page. If you can catch the episode at a later date, do so. I think you'll like it.<p>Episode 24: Ming Dynasty Astronaut
Deep in the Mojave Desert

Buster takes the hot seat in the MythBusters' quest to test the myth of the Ming Dynasty Astronaut. Will he defy the laws of gravity and survive an explosive launch into space? Or ... not? Then "mad scientists" Adam and Jamie search for a source of free energy, as Adam's stunt double faces nearly losing his head at the hands of the MythBuilders' killer fan. It takes two heads, three fans and five MythBusters to test this head-turning, stomach-churning story.
premiere: Dec. 5, 2004
Episode page<p>On another note, the Discovery Channel will air the Young Scientist Challenge 2004 this Sunday at 10 am Eastern time. Here's the page.<p>CeaSaR<p>PS - looks like it will be on again on the 19th (sunday) at 3 pm Eastern time. Don't forget to catch it!<p>Edited for spelling.<p>[ December 17, 2004: Message edited by: CeaSaR. ]</p>
Hey, what do I know?
terri

Post by terri »

Ya wanna see free energy? Watch a two-year-old.<p>Where in the bloody blue blazes does it all come from?<p>Mebbe part of all that energy is converted to mass.... which is how come they grow.<p>Hm.<p>[ December 18, 2004: Message edited by: terri ]</p>
terri wd0edw
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

Hello CeaSaR:<p>The radio using power from broadcast signals is not necessarily impossible but usually impractical. I have a 50 KW broadcast station about a mile away, so it might work here. Most areas would not be very satisfactory.<p>Several versions showed up in Popular Electronics in the 1950's. These used small signal germanium transistors that would work at low voltages and currents. One popular power source for simple radios was the International Rectifier B-2M selenium solar cell. These would produce a few tenths of a volt, but that was enough to bias a germanium transistor. I would expect gains on the order of ten or so.<p>The heat engine might work better with some modification. The liquid should be transferred to a tank 90 degrees away rather than to the opposite tank. A series of check valves could be used to guarentee that fluid was flowing to the proper tank. I would expect low power output and low efficiency, but it should be possible to make it rotate. The drinking bird toys use a similar principle.<p>The Bedini motor could be viewed as a brushless DC motor, but there is no reason to expect more energy out than is put in, so it willl eventually drain the batteries. The recoverable energy is that stored in the magnetic field of the drive coil, and this should not be a substantial fraction of the total energy if the magnetic paths have small air gaps.