Whitfield Advantage Combustion Fan Speed Control

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
stilllearning

Whitfield Advantage Combustion Fan Speed Control

Post by stilllearning »

I have a Whitfield Advantage II-T pellet stove. I recently installed a new grate (they no longer made the old one) and it appears that I need to adjust the combustion blower speed.

Does anyone know how and where to make this adjustment on this unit? I found the auger speed control but can't find the combustion blower speed control. The manual says that my dealer can do it but they went out of business years ago.

Thanks for the help,

Dave
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

You will probably have to retro fit a light / motor speed controller on the fan. You can hook up and try a cheap type [any hardware store sells the light dimmers] that will allow you to go down to the 51% mark and see if that is enough, other wise you need the better type that has zero crossing and it will go down even lower in most cases.

But the fan motor must be the right type before you start. If its low power DC, then its even easier.

120 v Light / motor speed controllers are usually cheap.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

try this again.. it just dissapeared the last time I typed it... anyway, the whitfield stoves normally have auto setting on the fan, you adjust the heat setting and the fan slows or speeds... mine was a 1-5 setting with 5 the hottest and fastest fan speed.. you need the fan to run according to the burn ratio.. I think adjusting the feed rate would be more approprate rather than messing with the fan.. otherwise you get a lot of soot, ash, and build up..
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

A tiny amount of experimentation used with a simple felt pen will cure you of this.

Mark it at the best spots.

Fuel burning is pretty obvious, just up the anty til it burns just better than right, then slow it down til it almost doesnt work.

Pick a spot right in between and mark it.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

I do it similar.. just watch the flame, when it whips, I back it off till its lazy, then up it a hair... and, I do have the Advantage II Whitfield manual in .pdf if you want it.. let me know..