1 TB Hard Drives Very Soon

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.

Will you buy one (or more) of these?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:24 pm

YES!
No votes
NO! I'll wait until they are under $100
29%
No, what am I going to do with that much space?
57%
No, there is no way to back it up. Too many eggs in one basket!
14%

Total votes: 7

jollyrgr

1 TB Hard Drives Very Soon

Post by jollyrgr »

If Hitachi can manage it, we will have sub $400 One Terabyte drives within a couple months.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,12840 ... ticle.html

In my best Homer imitiation:

Hmmm! One Terabyte Hard drives!
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
hp

Post by hp »

1 TB is way too much space for me. I can barely use my 80gb and 200gb hard drives. I also view the 1TB drives as a risk since new hard drive technology that requires huge amounts of magnetic storage in a small space usually means there are huge dataloss issues.

Steve Gibson of grc.com stated that his spinrite hd reconditioning tool has detected that even small drives such as 250gb run into hundreds of crc errors per minute at the raw read level. These errors are corrected on the fly by the hd hardware so fast that there is no performance issues. While this is great and the risk of total failure is relatively low, I am afraid of what a 1TB hard drive has to do to pretend that your data is safely stored on the platters.

I would definitely buy one of these drives to use as an incremental backup drive / NAS once they fall below ~$150. It would be great to be able to store months worth of backups on one storage medium.

Harrison
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Never put all your eggs in one basket.
MicroRem

Post by MicroRem »

Wow, I find myself agreeing with Chris....

Regards to all and Happy New Year

Tom
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

At the rate that Microsoft and all the other software houses are "writing" their inefficient code, you need 1TB just for the OS. I rarely ran out of space with my 360KB 5.25" diskettes on my 4MHz Zenith Z-100 with its 640KB of RAM. HDD? Never had one until forced to upgrade to a PS2.

Photo storage? That really chews up HDD space. Pick 1.8MB for a photo or a 2x2" Ektachrome slide. The slide sure provides a breathtaking 6-foot image when shot onto a wall. That computer image will never be breathtaking, even transferred to HD and displayed on the best projection system available.

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hello there,

I cant agree more with Chris. You put too much on one drive
and if it crashes you are out a lot of info. Even if it's backed up,
it's going to take quite a few hours to restore all that info.

I do like the fact that they are increasing HD space however,
as it may improve technology in general to make the smaller
ones better.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
Newz2000

Post by Newz2000 »

Give me three and then I can configure a RAID 5 array so that I have 2 TB of redundant storage.

I've been playing with video, and if you want to suck up a hard drive fast, that will do it. I'm just messing with standard def stuff, but someday I'll want to try out HD. I can't imagine what kind of disk space that takes.

BTW, these newer drives are using different ways to record the data on the drive... it's called perpendicular recording I think. It allows greater density. Also, they sometimes have more platters, so the density stays the same (per sq/inch of surface area) but they can fit more disk into a computer.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Over the years I have collected enough dead hard drives to repair the Great Wall of China.

I love more space but I hate crashed, dead, or lost IC hard drives so as we grow we need even more back up capabilities to go with these mechanical drives.

The newest computers claim to be going towards the solid state memory hard drives with instant on capabilities and as prices for these drop, their reliability should increase. [one can hope]

Yes once upon a time my Osborne Portable [1980s] with TWO whopping 180 K floppies with built in screen and keyboard could do all the tricks on the run in CPM,... but those days are long over as is any real programming.

I remember when the Apollo 13 Computer had less memory than today’s hand held throw away calculators,.... but again those days are history.

So the only real lesson here isn’t just to buy the new terra flops, but like always,...... back up everything twice. [Less than 17 new CD Roms @60g]

Time is all we have, lost data we often cant afford to lose.