Ham Morse Code Test Dropped

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Hydro dynamics isn’t that hard either. Euclidian laws are the start of that.

The transistor is mostly math in that you have to visualize electrons with out seeing them, using esoteric math equations.

You either have it or its hard to see, buts its not really rocket science, just math and a great imagination instead of the visual.

Externet, most wells have a steel liner and the pressure of the water is greater around the well to squeeze the water up into the casing.
speedbump

Post by speedbump »

We had a place years ago in Franklin, NC Miguel and the well there was 6"/660 feet deep. Being on the coast is probably totally different.

The wells I am familiar with are either screened or they are rock wells. Screened wells have the casing all the way down to aquifer which is sand and gravel. The pipe is pushed another 6 feet or so, the screen is simply dropped into the well with a rubber seal at the top and the casing is then lifted back up to expose the screen to the sand/gravel. This in most cases will give an adequate supply of water. The rock wells are casing pushed down to the rock, hammered into the rock a bit to provide a seal, then an open hole drilled into the rock until enough water is produced.

I don't know what would be involved in making it deeper, but the temperature of the water will be the same no matter how deep you go.

The radiator will certainly work, I'm just not sure how good. That would be up to a Heating and Cooling expert to figure out.

I hope that answered most of your questions.

bob...
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

We have several types of wells here, cased and non cased.

Depending on the type of compressed soil and the depth and pressure, the casing often stops short of the depths which can reach 750 feet or more.

Also the 8" commercial wells don’t seem to collapse at these depths due to the nature of the surrounding composition, while other softer wells need the steel case.

Our water starts as low as 8 feet down and even through many different types of soil compositions they all produce water at different speeds.

Some from 300 GPH to 300 GPM.

The deeper the well the greater the flow because the hydraulic pressure replaces the displaced water faster.

Its like taping fast off the bottom of the ocean and not cavitating because of the high pressure.
speedbump

Post by speedbump »

They also have wells with perforated casing. Which I am not familiar with. Seems like they case past the water bearing zones and get whatever flows into the casing. What's really interesting is they perforate the casing after it's installed into the ground.

bob...
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

I am curious about how home wells work. For city water they somewhat purify the water with chlorine. Is this as simple as dumping bleach down the well? At the small airport I worked at they had a well. The water was tested and and found to be somewhat high in bacteria. So they dumped something like 10 gallons of bleach down the well then we ran water all day. Soon slime came out the faucets. Nasty! Is this a normal thing to have happen with private wells?

When drilling for a aquifer, how much water can be found underground? Are we talking thousands or millions of gallons? There are several quaries around my parents. Some have been allowed to fill in to make lakes. Others go down a couple hundred feet and no water. How does that work?
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
speedbump

Post by speedbump »

I can't speak for all parts of the country, but it stands to reason that water can't move through clay or solid rock. That said, it all depends on the formation the water is in whether you can make a well of it or not. There are a lot of people that post on my Forum saying their wells are 600' + and they only produce 3 gallons per minute. They have to install large storage tanks underground or in the home then pull from them with another pump to pressurize the system.

Chlorine is used a lot to disinfect water. There are different ways people disinfect wells. Usually you pour the bleach in let it stand for a while, then pump it through the home through all cold water faucets until bleach is smelled. Let it sit for at least 4 hours then flush till clear.

City water is cleaned up using Alum and Sand. Then the bleach is used to kill the bacteria all the way to your faucet. There are other things they do to treat the water like aeration for sulphur odor etc. It all depends on the water to be treated. Some comes from wells, some water comes from lakes and streams.

If anyone is interested further, you are welcome to visit my Forum. There is a lot if interesting stuff there. And you can ask all the questions you may have. There are a lot of knowledgeable people there.'

bob...
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Where we are there are many types of wells. Most of our water is slightly contaminated either by sulfur or iron. Both smell and leave stains while a lot of people have to suffer using this water not just for the Alfalfa, but for the home.

I have installed both activated carbon and cloth filters as well as worked with the water softeners to make the drinking water just suitable.

Most of the water we use is at least 600 feet down, [some further] with three phase systems, and these pumps force water down a long portable water distribution line up to a half mile long and over 15 feet tall with nozzles covering 40 square foot continuous areas the whole length, [20 feet forward, 20 foot back] with a rain bird nozzle at the end of the pipe giving me a car wash in just one pass at 40 feet away with a one inch diameter water spout. The distribution line is at least 4 inches in diameter.

Water can pass through many things, usually the cracks between impervious materials.

Our well gets all of the fresh ready to drink water from the mountain aquifers and leech lines that are like rivers just under the surface. We get about 300 GPH while the commercial pumps in the valley could fill a swimming pool in just minutes.

The pump at the plant I worked for used to supply the plant from an aquifer [alluvial fan] at a rate greater than 1,000,000 gallons per month.

The soil you dig in makes all the difference as well as the water table height.

Were lucky as every square inch of the underground valley has some form of water, and drilling isn’t about finding water, but how much water you will find.

If you pound any hole on the property here as low as 6 to 8 feet down we strike water.

A few hundred feet away from the pure water, we get Iron water, and 1000 feet away again is hot arsenic laden water.

Another 1000 feet and its almost boiling.

In the thousand square miles of valley you can find several of these volcanic vents of hot water.
speedbump

Post by speedbump »

Wow, no more hot water bills. You can heat the house with that water too.

Ours is 72° here in Florida.

bob...
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

speedbump wrote: {SNIP}
City water is cleaned up using Alum and Sand.
{SNIP}
Please explain the use of ALUM. This has been used in Looney Tune cartoons and others where it either cause the 'tune to pucker or their head shrink to a tiny dot. Other than that what does it do?
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

Alum causes small suspended solid particles to clump together and settle to the bottom of a tank.
speedbump

Post by speedbump »

That's right. I thought I answered that question. I must have hit the wrong button.

bob...