Google found my topic!

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jimandy

Google found my topic!

Post by jimandy »

On December 15 I posted a topic "Thermostat hack" in which I mentioned the terms "pilot light" and "millivolt. Well, today I started exploring the subject a bit more with Google using those search terms (pilot light in quotes to narrow the search). Lo and behold the post came up as the second of 10,400 hits (not counting a sub-hit above it) .

Wow, less than two weeks and it was indexed. That's spectacular web crawling by Google's bots!
"if it's not another it's one thing."
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

It is the best Repository for information and date.

Study, research, and a good knowledge to begin with, combined with the web info will educate you.
hp

Post by hp »

Google is indeed amazing. I fell in the almost exact same situation except that it was my computer science teacher searching for an answer. She was searching for how to add a delay in a vb program and the first result was a code snippet I posted on these forums.

Needless to say, the post was printed out and is posted on her wall.

Harrison
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

I type the name of my group Web-site in MSN live search and get the link returned about 7th down in the results. It is not very popular site yet, so I wonder if live searh keeps track of my browsing.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Anonymous is a thing of the past thanks to Google and the Web.

If you want to remain private and unknown, I suggest you find a Pen Name and use it to keep off the web.

If not, just post anything with your real name and wait a week, then search it out and read the whole thing on the web.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

True Chris. The name of my Website is SMPS design. There are sites with much more traffic and links to them than mine. I'd think they should list on the search I mentioned before mine. Mine came up as something like number four. I really actually would like a lot of people to find it, but I think people out there would not see it so high in the search.

I think what is happening is that the program is looking into history or whatever on my computer and adjusting the results accordingly. I recall hearing something about more personalized searches. But, I really don't want search engines to work that way. Or maybe at least we should be able to easily choose if we want personalized searches or the classical type which would give the same results for everyone who types the same search phrase.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Google does several things. First they rotate names and sites on occasion so that “chanceâ€
hp

Post by hp »

Many people believe that Google primarily uses the link counting system where if a site is linked to by other sites a lot than it is ranked higher. This is 'proven' by the fact that Google Bombing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_bomb) exists. As you can see, Google lets its system do what it wants with very little user interaction. (Try searching for 'miserable failure' in Google and look at the first result).

The googlebot software (the stuff that crawls your website) tries to parse meta headers and links the best it can. Google has a nice webmaster tool that allows you to see what is generated by the web crawls for your website. It also gives hints on how to improve your site so that search engines can find it better.

Harrison
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Harrison, thanks. I look forward to checking out that Google webmaster tool, especially since I think the USMPS idea I feature on my SMPS design group could be something a lot of people, especially those who like universal and simple ways of doing things, might find useful. The way Google works is quite interesting, and even better yet--free. I find it almost addictive at times.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

History is also a part of the Google machine.

Their algorithm method [math] is probably a challenge for the brighter parts of our society as seen in the “I feel Luckyâ€