Blinking leds

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
spindown

Blinking leds

Post by spindown »

Is it possible to construct a circuit that will flash(blink-turn on then off)one to three leds and be powered by several AA cells or 9v battery? Thanks Paul
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

The 555 will do it fine.

If a sequence is needed, a 4017 will do a one two three.
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Hi Paul,
This may be oversimplifying things, but DigiKey has T-1 3/4 size LED's that have built-in circuitry to flash at 1.5 to 2.5 Hz at operating voltage of 3 to 14 volts input. I'm sure there are plenty of others available, but I just cracked open the nearest catalog for this reply. A search on "flashing led" or even "blinking led" will probably provide tons of information. Hope this helps,
Dave
ku7485

Post by ku7485 »

If you really want to learn about how to blink LEDS, you could take a look at this page: http://www.apogeekits.com/flashing_lights.htm

There's a kit on the page for sale, but the page also includes a schematic and a description of how the circuit works which you could take a look at.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

radio shack used to carry them, i do not know if they still do or not.. i made me a really nice blinky flash christmas tree for my desk at work here,that had been made strings of leds and a blinking led in series.
this made the whole string blink,,and i had several strings blinking.
looks awsome.. i will try and post a foto later on,,i do not know if i can post a video of it or not...anybody know how i can do that ?
k7elp60

Post by k7elp60 »

Another neat thing about blinking LED's is that you can put other LED's in series with them and all the LED's will blink at the same flash rate as the
blinking LED. You can mix colors also.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

thats what i just said :P
but mixing colors is another bonus...but whites and blues might be another story. because they need a bit more voltage to operate,,i'll have to try that one to see how it does.
spindown

Blinking leds

Post by spindown »

Thanks for the replies. I would rather build than buy and went to the site suggested. They have a schematic and I will follow that. Paul