No more satellites ?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
shillyard

No more satellites ?

Post by shillyard »

I was watching a TV show and the subject came up about
satellites. One point was if something would hit a satellite and
do enough damage that it could cause a chain reaction and
destroy other satellites, possibly all of them. Are we prepared
for something like this. I know we have a large dependence on
satellites these days. I know this would have a major impact
economically. Would we still be able to communicate other than
snail mail ?
If its not worth repairing its not worth buying.
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

I'm not sure how damaging one satellite could manage to destroy many, or all of the rest. Even ones sharing geostationary orbits shouldn't cause any mass physical destruction - that this show seems to imply. What TV show/network was this?
There are many forms of communication that do not utilize satellite technology. Lower frequency radio waves can travel great distances, there are still cables beneath our oceans, and even higher frequency radio signals can be "bounced" with repeaters over tremendous distances as well.
I'm sure this doesn't answer your questions, but hope that it gives a jump start to the many replies that you are sure to receive! Best regards,
Dave
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Our biggest satellite killer has always been the Sun. Solar flares and the MCE [Mass Corona Ejection] do the trick real well and have already taken out their share of Comsat’s.

Many years ago one MCE took out the most important “Pager Satâ€
bigkim100

Post by bigkim100 »

Its funny, people seem to think that there are so many satellites up there...that they can literlly bump into each other.
1-There arnt nearly as many satellites in orbit that people think there are
2-all satellites are many,many miles away from each other, at their closest, and are locked into orbit..,not merrily wandering around bumping into each other.
Space junk, and Solar Flares are considered a far greater threat than bumping into other satellites.
Kim..The man with the cute little girls name...and Frankensteins face and body.