Car Audio remote turn on current

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
High4Volts

Car Audio remote turn on current

Post by High4Volts »

does anyone have any idea about how much current most car audio head units can supply on the remote turn on wire to the amp? Like could it run say a 200ma load (or less) to run a small relay? I don't want to try this to find ot it will not handle it.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

yes, that should be no problem at all, i have seen many support as much as 500ma.
your owners manual should tell you that in the spec. area.

your talking about the wire coming out of the radio that turns onthe amp or controls the power antenna?
High4Volts

Post by High4Volts »

dacflyer, yes that would be the wire. long story short.....
I need to switch a relay to supply power to an inverter running a touch screen. I'm still working on that computer for my truck. It's all running but i want to tie it into the CompuSTAR remote starter. It has a couple of optional (-) outputs that i can use to boot the computer from the house to transfer music over the WiFi. sweeeeeeet.... I just don't want to chance burning up the remote output from the headunit. Does this remote wire usually power a relay inside the amps as well to power them? Or does it run a transistor? just curious.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

the output is usually controlled by a transister, and it can drive a relay with no problem, and most small relays can handle at least 5-10 amp.
so it should be no problem for you.

note. most all power antennas have a relay that controls the up / down function. so i am sure you will be just fine.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

A lot of radios mark this current on the back of the chassis.
High4Volts

Post by High4Volts »

awesome! thanks guys.