Suggestions needed for multi building Wi Fi expansion

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dburlesn

Suggestions needed for multi building Wi Fi expansion

Post by dburlesn »

We are expanding our network to include WiFi.
We want to connect several buildings together.
With our main office being the "hub"
Distances range from 300ft to more than 1000ft.
Plus elevation changes.
I'm leaning towards a one to many solution, like an ISP might use.
Something with "client" hardware requirements, to add to security,
and equipment that the home user would not purchase.
Antenna's would be mounted on the top of, or side of the buildings<p>Do you guy's have any product suggestions?<p>Thanks<p>David
Newz2000

Re: Suggestions needed for multi building Wi Fi expansion

Post by Newz2000 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dburlesn:
We want to connect several buildings together.
With our main office being the "hub"
Distances range from 300ft to more than 1000ft.
Antenna's would be mounted on the top of, or side of the buildings<p>Do you guy's have any product suggestions?
<hr></blockquote>
I've done this. We connected 3 buildings in a point to multipoint network that spanned about 600 meters. You need to have line of site. In our case, we had to accommodate palm branches.<p>We used the Proxim Quick Bridge wireless lan products found here: http://www.proxim.com/products/bwa/poin ... index.html<p>I was a consultant helping with IT migration. The company who is using this equipment had in-house maintenance staff who had worked on antenna in the military. That helped bring costs down, but all said and told, the pricing on these things is real good.<p>They purchased the hardware through CDW. They bought one kit which had the main base station and one remote station plus all necessary hardware, then an additional remote station and an omni antenna. I believe the total cost was around $2K USD.<p>They have enabled the proxim authentication and the MAC filtering. WiFi laptops in the area can't even see the signal, which is good since you get about a 6 mile range.<p>Reliability is phenomenal. Of course, they are in Florida and they don't deal with snow or hail there.<p>If you want to talk to the guys who are using it, private message me with your contact information and I'll pass it on.
dburlesn

Re: Suggestions needed for multi building Wi Fi expansion

Post by dburlesn »

Thank you !<p>I was looking at Proxim's point to multi point products, but not the Quick bridge line.
I did not know you could add remotes to it.
I thought it was only usable in pairs.<p>Thanks!!<p>David