need help looking for a 12volt stand alone DVR recorder

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

need help looking for a 12volt stand alone DVR recorder

Post by dacflyer »

i am looking for something like this...

http://www.stealthdigitalservice.com/ca ... 94a34b3e4c

the DVR described is a voyager model GDV-04M

but i need only 1 video input with a wired remote.

the one i seen looks ok,,but its for 4 cameras and its also out of my price range..

i just need somehting in a mpeg format.. but not mpeg4
and with a wired remote. and operates off of 12 volt supply.
and it uses a hard drive or something useable off the shelf..

i want to use it on my ultralight, for aerial video recording.

thanks.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

The one in your link has a hot swappable HDD feature that makes it kind of unique. There are many devices in the spy category if you google "micro-DVR" but most lie in the $300-$500 range and are modeled after video ipods with built in cameras and typically 40GB drives. Not 12V either (except via external supply). You can find a few more searching on portable DVR also. I see units with and without built in screens.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

the ones i find mostly are home units, not 12 volt powered,
i'll keep looking
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
philba

Post by philba »

I bought a home unit a while back - $350 (w/50 rebate), 4 ch, add your own HD. It is powered by a 12V wall wart and thus could be powered from automobile power. I opened it up and it has a SMPS so it should run fine off of up to 15V or so. The others I looked at also used wall warts though I didn't specifically look at the input voltage, I'd be surprised if it wasn't 12V across the boards.

My unit is a Q-See QSNDVR4R. Lousy documentation (looks like it was done with Babblefish) but it does work. I bought it at Fry's
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

I was going to suggest that you use a standard DVR and an inverter then read you want it on your Ultralight. There is a device out there to do what you want but I cannot attest to its video quality. It is called a Mobi DVR and will record video and audio with no moving parts. That is right, no hard drive. It records directly to solid state memory. Unfortunately I cannot find it on the manufacturer's web site but did see it on eBay. Check out Item number: 250041646184 on eBay's web site. If this is not a valid number when you go there. Search for "mobi dvr" (no quotes).

I hope this is of help.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
jwax

Post by jwax »

And a standard digital video camcorder won't work why?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

JPKNHTP>> that DVR looks almost exactly like the one i posted the link to here in the start...its nice, but out of the price range still.

JWAX >> the reason i cannot use a standard DVR is because space is very limited on my plane.. as you can see in my avitar foto here :P
also i already have the camera ,mounted in a pod under the wing..
and most all camcorders do not have any video inputs..
pleanty of outputs,,but no inputs.. if i had a camcorder that did have a video input,,then that would solve my problem,,so this is why i am wanting a recorder with 12 volt power and a wired remote,,infrared will not do..
philba

Post by philba »

where is the actual camera located? Those mini DV camcorders are very small. I think there is a very good chance that you could mount it where you want to mount the current camera.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

mounted under the wing about 18ft' outward on a home made pan / tilt pod.

the controls for the camera are hard wired to a remote control box
( zoom in / out , focus manual or auto) , and the pod controld are mated to the same control box.

and i also have a small 4" LCD monitor mounted ontop of my insturment panel. and the batterys that power it all fit in my seat saddle bags.