I can't believe someone actually sells these

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Mike6158

I can't believe someone actually sells these

Post by Mike6158 »

Healthline

Hopefully the link will work.

:( I was at my girlfriends house this evening. She is sick so I was taking care of some things for her. She asked me to install some "very expensive E-field thingys" for her. She's very much in to homeopathic and natural remedies. Ever hear the term OCD? They invented it for her. Anyway... the "e-field thingy's" looked like black twist ties for garbage bags. They cost something like $25.00 for a package of... I don't know... maybe 25 or 50? Your supposed to twist them around any electrical cord 2" from the plug and then another 2" after that. Somehow they are supposed to convert "bad EMF" into "biologically good emf" :confused: She also has a cell phone protector doo dad on her phone. It looks like a miniature roach trap :confused: That cost $50.00

WTF? How can people get away with selling this kind of crappage?

<small>[ December 27, 2005, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: NE5U ]</small>
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."
Chris Smith

Re: I can't believe someone actually sells these

Post by Chris Smith »

The only reason such garbage works is the mind convinces it self that "That is the cure". Mind over matter, much like miracles, where mother nature does the work she always does in the form of the immune system, but some how praying to a old grey haired god or his son was the real trick?

Superstition, it works, only the morons don’t know how or why it does.

Buy her some dice, or a Lotto ticket and tell her the numbers are devine, she wont know the difference.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Had a wife with those maladies and disorder.
The divorce is working well.
WA2RBA
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

Originally posted by jwax:
Had a wife with those maladies and disorder.
The divorce is working well.
:) Yeah... but I still like this one so I'll keep her for a while. It's definitely a challenge some times.

Aside from her recently aquired pechant for electronic gizmos that aren't she's got mostly good traits... I mean... it's a freaking wire tie. It looks like a wire tie. It twists like a wire tie, and when you strip the plastic off (she would be pissed if she knew that I took one of her expensive doo dads apart) it's nothing but a piece of wire.

Chris- That won't work because it comes from me. :) It has to come from someone with "credentials". Don't ask me where or what the credentials are...
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."
philba

Post by philba »

My wife is into a lot of that stuff, too. Fortunately, she's more into the herb end of it than anything else. No huge dent in the wallet so I don't try to debunk it.

I think this comes from a need to believe there is an answer for everything, now. I believe there is an answer but in many (perhaps most) cases our science hasn't progressed sufficiently. Someday...

Anyway, what's amazing to me is how otherwise rational thoughtful people will believe some claims with no logical exposition as to why those claims are valid. Some dubious "expert" seems to render substantive proof as unnecessary. Clearly, anything with "naturapathic" in the the title is one example. Look at the high end audio business for another example. The snake oil salesman lives!

Some times I wonder how much money I could make doing that but then ethics intrudes. Still, a DHMO detector would be cheap and easy to build...

<small>[ December 28, 2005, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: philba ]</small>
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

Originally posted by philba:
My wife is into a lot of that stuff, too. Fortunately, she's more into the herb end of it than anything else. No huge dent in the wallet so I don't try to debunk it.

I think this comes from a need to believe there is an answer for everything, now. I believe there is[\b] an answer but in many (perhaps most) cases our science hasn't progressed sufficiently. Someday...

Anyway, what's amazing to me is how otherwise rational thoughtful people will believe some claims with no logical exposition as to why those claims are valid. Some dubious "expert" seems to render substantive proof as unnecessary. Clearly, anything with "naturapathic" in the the title is one example. Look at the high end audio business for another example. The snake oil salesman lives!

Some times I wonder how much money I could make doing that but then ethics intrudes. Still, a DHMO detector would be cheap and easy to build...
My sweetie has always been a health conscious person. So am I for that matter but I don't go extreme like she does (part of her OCD personality). I worry about her because (A) She won't listen if I do say anything and it's no longer worth the arguement that it causes to try, (B) The person that she listens to is trained but the quack the sells wire ties for a buck a piece is the trainer, and (C) she has a genetic problem with her thyroid (you do NOT want to be around her when her hormones get whacked out. She's about 5'3 / 110 pounds but there is 8'0" / 350 pounds of mean are packed into that tiny little space :D ) I'm afraid that she's going to get away from her endocrinoligist's treatment (against the wishes of her nurse practioner homeopathic person's advice) and try to go the natural route. She could die or hurt herself permanently if she lets it get out of hand. Her cholestorol and blood pressure were way out of whack before the doc (the real one) started treating her. This is a woman that eats healthy, excercises at least every other day (and nobody can keep up with her excercise regimen), and she still had some serious health issues...

It's a serious problem and at this point she will not listen to anyone but the snake oil salesman.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

A person suseptible to these "thingies" should be told that a 24-volt power tool kit, 500MHz oscilloscope and 7Mpxl digital camera (with interchangeable lenses) are great cures.

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

But I want a Canon EOS1Ds 16.7 Mpxl SLR... and she doesn't have the means to get one for me... so I guess it's back to putting wire ties on the power cords :D
Clyde Crashkop

Post by Clyde Crashkop »

What ever happened to pyramid power?
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

Well... I kid you not... her nurse practioner uses her pyramid to "reactivate" vitamins. She can even "reactivate" food that has been "killed" by the microwave. The microwave... btw... just in case... and so you know... emits radiation ALL the time. It radiates the food... and then the radiation thats left emits continuously after the microwave has been turned off. I have no idea how long this radiation lasts...

I have no idea what happend to the laws of physics. Apparently the microwave killed them too...

:( It's funny but it's kind of not... Some of this nonsense is downright dangerous. I am on vacation this week. I was at her house this afternoon and I watched her take no less than 9 large capsules... if not more...Minerals she said...

I built this for her:
:(
Ron H

Post by Ron H »

Sounds like the beginning of the end to me. My first wife started out as a nursing major, switched to art, and did things like setting jars of colored water out in the yard to collect the sun's healthful energy. Then she decided it would be OK...scratch that... better to sleep with anything wearing pants (except women). Divorce was the next step. Best thing that ever happened to me, although I would never have believed it if you had told me that at the time. That was 28 years ago. Time wounds all heels.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

I don't suppose she'd be interest in some paser magnums from the 60's..? they go on your distributor, supposed to capture electrical induction and pre-charge your sparkplugs.. this gives them polarization in order to make the gas molecules that are the opposite polarity dissipate into a large cloud in the combustion chamber, thus a much better burn, creating more power, and of course BETTER GAS MILEAGE.. you could drive around the block and actually have your gas tank over flow from the extra gas.. ha ha ha.. but... they sold them by the droves..
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

There are audio experts (Audiophiles) that have all sorts of theories on how to improve audio. Like power cords made out of silver wire to prevent "drift current noise" at the power supply. It does not matter that there are hundreds of miles of copper wire before it gets to the wall outlet, the last six feet of wire needs to be silver. Of course the speaker wire is made out of silver.

Then there are "speaker wire elevators". These sit on the floor and elevate the wire to "improve" sound quality. Some audiophiles prefer inverted wine glasses but whatever is used supposedly prevents "Field Interaction" between the wire and the carpet or wood flooring. I've not personally seen it but an installer friend has seen and installed directional speaker wire. This wire MUST be installed with a particular end at the amp and the other end at the speaker. There are arrows on the cable stating this fact. How the hell the amp knows if it is connected to the "speaker" or "amp" side of the wire makes no sense to me; it's friggin' wire!

A few years ago I had to work with our Biomed department to "fix" a computer that was causing a woman's legs to crawl. Figuring anything is possible I got under her desk with a DMM and started checking for leakage currents and what not. Nothing. So I put the back of my hand on the case and my elbow on ground. No shock. I pulled the computer out and took it to the Biomed guys. ZERO leakage of any type on the test equipment used for testing medical devices. We all came to the same conclusion; she was nuts. To make it seem as if we were doing something we put a massive AC plug with a green ground wire coming from the ground pin. The ground wire was connected to the computer case and the computer moved to the top of the desk. Still she could feel the "fields" coming off the computer but not nearly as bad. Eventually she was dismissed for similar crazy ideas.

Back in the late 80's computers were booming into classrooms. Before this time only certain types of students took classes involving computers; either programming, CAD, or "office worker" classes used computers. But in the late 80's the push was on where every student would be using computers. That also brought out the resistance from parents that were computer illiterate or computer fearful. There was actually opposition from some parents as computers could emit fields that would cause their kids harm; I kid you not. We had to buy this stupid meter that detected fields from electronic equipment and had to sweep the computers and monitors to test for harmful fields. My boss thought it was stupid, his boss thought it was stupid, I thought it was stupid. But I being the PC tech had to go to the schools and "sweep" all of the computers to make sure none were leaking any "radiation" of any sort. Supposedly having this meter not detect anything was proof enough that computers were not going to cause the kids to grow a second head or cause them to go sterile.

I think all of these are a bunch of crap. I've used computers since the terminal days. Someone gave me a huge box of Cat3 cable as it was "useless"; this has been my source of speaker wire for years. I don't have the protection shield on my cell phone. Nor do I have one of those stickers that puts a four foot antenna on my cell phone. None of my AC power cords are "shielded".

I guess there are all sorts of "Grifters" out there that can sleep at night after screwing somoene.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
philba

Post by philba »

Proof positive that we just need better placebos.
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

here was actually opposition from some parents as computers could emit fields that would cause their kids harm
I wonder if the internet could be considered a field :D