coloidial silver ??

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

coloidial silver ??

Post by dacflyer »

anyone ever heard of this stuff ? i didn;t understand what he was using it for .
a co-worker asked me about it,, he said he had a schematic on how to make it,,but lost it,,and hes wanting to know if i might be able to find a schematic and build it for him,,

anyone have any ideas of this ?
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Silver like chrome stops the growth of germs and virus.

Often a dish cloth will incorporate strings of silver to kill bacteria.
L. Daniel Rosa

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

Some people have a reaction to it. It will accumulate unnoticed for a long time, then the skin turns grey, irreversibly.
Externet

Post by Externet »

HI.
Perhaps the part you did not understand was "Recovering metallic silver" from colloidal silver.
The schematic should be nothing else than a plain DC power supply to be used for electrolysis of solutions containing silver. As an example, to recover silver from photographic developing materials, or from photographic negatives. Usually from large X-rays. As far as I know.
Miguel
k7elp60

Post by k7elp60 »

I am very fimilar with coloidial silver, in fact I make it quite often.
I once had a rash that nothing with heal it, but in about three days with the silver applied it cleared up.
I have a pair of 6" pure silver wires about 14 guage. I use as electrodes
put in pure distilled water, with a few grains of salt to cause conduction.
My power supply is 24 volts and has a LED to monitor conduction.
I leave the power supply connected for about ten minutes. When the water gets real cloudy the process is complete.
jwax

Post by jwax »

dacflyer- What does your friend plan to do with the silver? Heal?
Lots of googles about the topic.
Beware provider of snake oils! :razz:
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i dunno,, but i think its got something to do with healing...hes really into his religion...what ever that is...
k7elp60

Post by k7elp60 »

The circuit for my coloidial silver generator is a LM7805 set of as a constant current source with a 270 resistor. In series with the output is a LED. When power is first applied with the electrodes in the 1 cup of distilled water the LED is out as no current flows. Adding a few grains of salt the LED comes on real dim. As the silver is disolved in the water the current increases and the LED comes on bright. In about 10 minutes the power is turned off.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

interesting.. i'll share this info with my co-worker and see if thats what hes trying to do..

thanks for the info..
rlesan

colloidal silver on Google

Post by rlesan »

www.waynegreen.com lists a colloidal silver kit for $40, if you believe in
snake oil - - - build it yourself for less than $2
OldHam
VIRAND

Post by VIRAND »

Forget the hocus-pocus ... just get a silver spoon and have some soup.
High4Volts

Post by High4Volts »

did you ever find out what you wanted to know about this? I just happened to run across a few copys of a book on this. If you want one of the copys let me know.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

K7 gave me a lot of insight ,
i just need to know how the led was connected. the constant current is not a problem,, just have to figgure it out, unless he tells me or has a schematic..
grant fair

Post by grant fair »

I took a quick look at PubMed, a free searchable medical database. Searching on "colloidal silver" it showed 585 references. Many are not about health effects, but other uses or aspects of the stuff. Here's an abstract of a relevant article. Anyone really wanting a copy can request one from the author.

Lansdown, AB.Silver in health care: antimicrobial effects and safety in use. (2006). Curr Probl Dermatol. Vol 33:pages 17-34.

Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, Charing Cross Hospital, London, UK. [email protected]

Silver has a long and intriguing history as an antibiotic in human health care. It has been developed for use in water purification, wound care, bone prostheses, reconstructive orthopaedic surgery, cardiac devices, catheters and surgical appliances. Advancing biotechnology has enabled incorporation of ionizable silver into fabrics for clinical use to reduce the risk of nosocomial infections and for personal hygiene. The antimicrobial action of silver or silver compounds is proportional to the bioactive silver ion (Ag(+)) released and its availability to interact with bacterial or fungal cell membranes. Silver metal and inorganic silver compounds ionize in the presence of water, body fluids or tissue exudates. The silver ion is biologically active and readily interacts with proteins, amino acid residues, free anions and receptors on mammalian and eukaryotic cell membranes. Bacterial (and probably fungal) sensitivity to silver is genetically determined and relates to the levels of intracellular silver uptake and its ability to interact and irreversibly denature key enzyme systems. Silver exhibits low toxicity in the human body, and minimal risk is expected due to clinical exposure by inhalation, ingestion, dermal application or through the urological or haematogenous route. Chronic ingestion or inhalation of silver preparations (especially colloidal silver) can lead to deposition of silver metal/silver sulphide particles in the skin (argyria), eye (argyrosis) and other organs. These are not life-threatening conditions but cosmetically undesirable. Silver is absorbed into the human body and enters the systemic circulation as a protein complex to be eliminated by the liver and kidneys. Silver metabolism is modulated by induction and binding to metallothioneins. This complex mitigates the cellular toxicity of silver and contributes to tissue repair. Silver allergy is a known contra-indication for using silver in medical devices or antibiotic textiles.

PMID: 16766878 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Grant
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

cool, thanks for th info.. i am sure my friend will appreciate that