consumer alarm clock displays

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
adamlschwartz

consumer alarm clock displays

Post by adamlschwartz »

I've noticed that many of the alarm clocks sold by Sharper Image, Brookstone, Hammacher-Schlemmer, etc... have the same LCD display. I infer from this that there is some company that produces this LCD (and maybe its driver) and sells it to OEMs. Does anyone know how to find this company.<p>For an example, see http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catal ... &catid=102
haklesup

Re: consumer alarm clock displays

Post by haklesup »

That LCD Display looks pretty custom. It has lots of details. Dosn't seem that anyone would offer it as a generic component. It's more likly that all those retail outlets buy the same or similar clock from the same OEM who will print any name on the base you pay them to (called VAR Value Added Retailing)<p>I am aware of companies who will make custom LCD displays but the setup charge is probably quite high and the per piece price would not be reasonable unless you bought/made a whole bunch. This may be another reason you see the same semi-custom display in different (but similar) products.
Edd

Re: consumer alarm clock displays

Post by Edd »

Adam:
I happen to notice that Oregon Scientific also has the same display in addition to the ones you mentioned.I also have that same identical unit that you referenced, as well as the version with temperature on it also. Found them in a mix of alarm clocks at an unclaimed freght outlet for a mere $3.95 EACH....guess which two units I selected ? ! I did notice that the display is stand alone in the top panel with connections attained with the typical silicone rubber strip with multiple imbedded colloidial graphite fibres conducting to the pcb plane behind it .I feel sure some far east supplier is the sole supplier of all of the units , I will pull the display and see if any manufacturers I.D. or part numbers are on it to research from. <p>73's de Edd
[email protected]...(Interstellar~~~ Warp~~~ Speed)
[email protected]...(Firewalled*Cookies*Crumbs)