what is the differences between a 250V 10A fuse and a 32

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
mambo29

what is the differences between a 250V 10A fuse and a 32

Post by mambo29 »

what is the differences between a 250V 10A fuse and a 32V 10A fuse? i thought fuse work according with current? i hv a power supply uses a 250V 10A fuse can i use a 50V 10A to replaces it? both hv the same current capacity rate? can i use it ???what will happen ?
hello everyone
k7elp60

Re: what is the differences between a 250V 10A fuse and a 32

Post by k7elp60 »

The voltage rating on fuses is the maximum voltage that the fuse will interupt the current flow without arcing. If you use the 32 volt fuse on a 250 volt circuit there is a good chance it will not stop the current flow if there is an current overload.
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

The voltage rating of a fuse should be considered for safety reasons. Basically it tells how much voltage can be applied to the fuse and still have the fuse operate correctly.
A broken fuse can still conduct if a sufficient voltage is applied that allows the current to arc across the broken ends. That is a scenario that could really wake you up, or put you in a permanent sleep.
Use a 10A fuse rated at least 250V.
jwax

Post by jwax »

I talked with Littlefuse recently about this exact question. The voltage rating is not for the voltage on a good fuse, but applies after the fuse has blown- at its' rated current. A 32 volt, 30 amp fuse will still blow at 30 amps, in a 120 volt circuit. The voltage rating means it was designed to "hold off" only 32 volts. However, most fuse holders will certainly hold off 120 volts, so sure, it is still safe. Not at all recommended, however. Gets to be a problem with higher voltages is all. You would not use a 32 kilovolt rated fuse on a 120 kilovolt circuit!
WA2RBA
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

I'm here to learn and help, not argue, but the question isn't whether the fuse holder will hold off the voltage - it's whether the fuse itself will. And with a blown fuse, that could very likely be a fraction of an inch gap for the arc.
NEVER replace a fuse with one of larger current rating or smaller voltage rating unless you're sure you know what you're doing and are willing to accept any unfortunate consequences.
And even then it's a bad idea.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Depending upon how much energy is available, a fuse may not only blow, but the metal can vaporize, leaving a conducting "atmosphere" within the fuse shell. Undervoltage fuses have been known to explode. That's why Fluke handheld DMMs and the new Simpson Series 8 meters all have 600 volt fuses in them in series with the smaller 2A 250v fuses. In most cases of meter misuse, the cheap fuse blows. If the error occurs in a high-energy circuit (e.g., 480 3-phase stuff), the little fuse blows, keeps on conducting and then the big fuse blows, keeping the meter (and your hand) in one piece.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
mambo29

Post by mambo29 »

hey thanks bros.....i think i got the concept right...the voltage rating on the fuse is to tell us that this fuse will blown without arcing at that desire voltage...i went to library n check it out.....guys....k7elp60 u r correct ....thnaks bro.
hello everyone