Re-broadcast FM Radio?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
mbenton

Re-broadcast FM Radio?

Post by mbenton »

I work in a metal building. I would like to be able to re-broadcast multiple FM radio stations inside the building. I know I could just build several cheap FM transmitters and feed them from radios located in the one of the few good reception spots in the building. Is there any way to re-broadcast multiple stations using a broadband amplifier? Would putting an antenna outside the building, then running the signal inside, throught an amplifier, then to another antenna work? <p>thanks,<p>Mark Benton
[email protected]
Edd

Re: Re-broadcast FM Radio?

Post by Edd »

Mark:
When I saw your Bloomington Indiana I was thinking that to be the
home base of Winegard Corp one of the forerunners in consumer
antennae and amps. But it was Burlington Iowa
.....both B I ‘s though.
Seems like U are or was Hqs to RCA. What U
mentioned shud work in
getting FM into the building and then dumping into a FM bowtie or cross
bowtie. If you’re totally shielded in that building I don’t think
that one wud have to worry about any multipath errors as well as any TV
nanosecond lagging ghosting on TV reception if you also go for that option.
Although, it is a bit harder to find gear oriented to the FM band
exclusively, than it is to the whole TV/FM radio spectrum in entirety.
To get the definitive answer on the situation why don’t U go to this site
with its personnel/E-mail addees galore and I think your questions will
be answered. The site:
http://www.winegard.com/index.html <p>73’s de Edd
[email protected] (Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~~~~Speed)
[email protected] (Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
:)
HomeBrew

Post by HomeBrew »

I had the same problem several years ago. I solved it with a small FM Stereo transmitter used as a repeater on an un-used part of the FM dial. In one part of the metal building we had a large window where the outside signals would come in strong. We set the transmitter up there with a center tapped vertical dipole antenna. We used a WalkMan for the receiver/modulator and had very good coverage all over the building and a little ways down the street. This system was in use every day for several years with no problems.
bridgen

Post by bridgen »

If the signals from the stations you wish to listen to are of decent strength - if the receiver is being fully quieted - then you shouldn't need any active device, just one antenna outside wired to one inside.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Connect an antenna outside the metal building to an antenna inside the building, similar to what you said. Thus the signal is received on the outside antenna, travels down a piece of COAX, then is radiated by the second antenna. DO NOT use a preamp on this system! Doing this could possibly cause the amplified radiated signal to be received by the input antenna of the amp. This could then cause the amplifier to oscillate and become a noisy transmitter!<p>There used to be some sort of setup for pagers in metal buildings and basements. A wire basket was connected to a receiving antenna located outside. People in the metal building/underground office would place their pager in the basket in order to receive a page. I have not seen one of these in quite some time but they did exist.<p>[ November 15, 2002: Message edited by: Jolly Roger ]</p>
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
forrestgump

Post by forrestgump »

I think I know where you coming from Mark, I have the same problem at my work. The only thing I came up with is to re-transmit to another frequency using a fm transmitter I built from a kit. I think I understand what you saying though it would be nice to amplify the whole 88 to 107? Mhz band for user selectable use. I looked around the web and never came up with anything? I thought about wiring up separate antennas for each radio but people move there radios, and its a lot of work. Maybe some one will help us both out!?<p>Mark