100% OT! Blackhole question(s)...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
KamPutty

100% OT! Blackhole question(s)...

Post by KamPutty »

Hi all,

I just watched a straight to DVD movie "Black Hole", not the Disney one. In this story, some scientests create a blackhole (and a bad guy that comes from it, but thats here nor there) and it starts to suck things in.

Okay, from the little I've read about blackholes, here are some questions;

#1. I've always seen a blackhole like a funnel, things get sucked in and after the event horizen, well, they continue getting sucked in. BUT, why a funnel shape? Since the pull is like a ball, wouldn't the pull be the same from all angles? Like having the funnel, but 100% around the hole?

#2. Okay, what about weight? I understand that the weight of a BH is amazing. In the case of the movie, having a BH on Earth would be actually heavier then the Earth itself, so wouldn't that effect the planet itself? Change orbit, weather etc?

#3. Lets talk Event Horizen. If a BH landed on Earth, I would think that the Event Horizen would be massive; larger then the Earth?

#4.Does anyone know how to calc the event horizen based on the size of a BH? Actually, does it have size since it comes to a Singularity?

Well, there it is!

~Kam (^8*
L. Daniel Rosa

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

It is not so much size or weight as it is density. It must be dense enough that the gravitational attraction will bind light at an equal or greater radius than the mass. One with mass comparible to Earth's would be just one centimeter in diameter.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

So far its all still just theory, theory we project to be correct.

Anything is possible, but they are following the rules of the universe, making a wild guess as to what it looks like and acts like.
ku7485

Post by ku7485 »

I remember reading about CERN generating mini black holes a while ago. They were using their atomic smasher to generate black holes to study the effects of Hawking radiation.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

As Chris says, theory and fact are two different things. The theory was given lots of publicity with Disney's The Black Hole, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, etc.

If you want true proof that this science fiction really exists, you have to watch Galaxy Quest.

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
MicroRem

Post by MicroRem »

Sigourney Weaver never looked better!
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

I agree, HOT.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Well, yeah, it was a sci-fi flick where she finally had HAIR!

Ya have to admit, the scene where they're easing the starship out of the dock for the first time was classic! Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech!

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Talking theoretcially a black hole, let's say the "size" of a base ball would be HEAVY. So heavy in fact you could not hold it up. The crust of the earth could not hold it up. It would fall through earth accelerating quite fast, punching a hole in it. Then it would accelerate out into space, slow down, turn around and fall back down hitting the earth crashing through it again. This would happen over and over and over, punching so many holes in the earth it would be turned to dust. As the black hole did this it would suck the earth into it slowly eating the earth away until there was only black hole left.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Theoretically it would simple consume the entire earth and all of its matter.

Then burp!
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

How the could you tell if it burped?

Any hypothetical burp would be contained inside the event horizon and therefore would not be observable.

Bob :cool:
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Its soo huge,....and were soo small,....burp!
Tommy volts

Post by Tommy volts »

KamPutty,

If you haven't already, I highly recommend you read the book "American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer" by Kai Bird and coauthor.

The book has some great background information and references regarding the theoretical discovery of "black holes" by Oppenheimer. If your interested in black holes, the work by Oppenheimer is a great place to start.
KamPutty

Post by KamPutty »

I think the BH would not bounce in and out of the Earth. I think it would move the Earth into it. And yes, Galaxy Quest is the best SciFi out there! Funny stuff...he he he.

I've been pondering many things the last few weeks, Black Holes, Entanglement, Super Strings, etc.; and I've come to the conclustion that I like Chinese food.

Back to pondering.

~Kam (^8*
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

I see. That logic reminds me of the little genius chickenhawk in a Warner Bros Foghorn Leghorn cartoon.

"If that direction north and the time is 1:10 PM, then you must like Chinese food."

There is a chain of Chinese food places in the Bay area of California called "Mr. Chau". The prices and quantity are fantastic and the food is really good but the Orange Chicken tastes just like Koolaid after a few bites. "Chow down on Mr. Chau!"

Bob :cool: