Strip Board

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
KamPutty

Strip Board

Post by KamPutty »

Hi all,

I read about the "Stripboards" in the last(?) Nuts&Volts mag (was it an ad?)
They sound really neat, and I want to get some.

BUT :sad:

Their site is down....

www.stripboard.com

Does anyone know where I can get some?

~Kam (^8*
HighFrequency

Post by HighFrequency »

Seems to be up now
There is only one correct answer, mine.
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

This type of prototyping board was originally called "veroboard" and was marketed by a company called Vero about 40 years ago. Vero may have been a British company. Vector may make similar boards.

Once you locate a manufacturer, you may get a reference to their distributers.

Try some of the electronic distributors such as Newark. They may still stock prototyping supplies.
KamPutty

Post by KamPutty »

HighFrequency wrote:Seems to be up now
The site is working, but they have the "wait till nextweek..."...I've waited 4 weeks!

~Kam (^8*
stevech

Post by stevech »

I just built a project using these...

http://www.schmartboard.com/index.asp?page=products_th

pleased with density vs. other boards. You must, though, lay out the board and components.
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

One source is Vero Technologies Limited (www.verotl.com). They list a couple of US and Canadian distributors. This may be a descendant of the original company.
pwillard

Post by pwillard »

A neat way to plan out these boards would be to use the software tool from these guys. (LOCH is the German work for HOLE)

http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/lochmaster.html

I use a few of their products and really like how they work.

PW
Edd

Post by Edd »

Great shades of my engineering prototype / design days with RTL-DTL-TTL-and ECL.

I still can’t zero in on which I detested the most, the mentioned strip boarding PCB’s or the small square grid format which was dependent on adjacent bridging with the use of a solder bridge for linear conductor square to square continuity…..for sure, the latter…. I certainly believe.

Engineering supply was the sourcing, with ye olde initial billing being footed by the customer. It didn’t take but a milli-micro-sec for me to see that its pricing was too steep for my personal use. Therefore, I figured that the cost / complexity of the ‘lebenteen Kajillion hole grids, was something that I could work around and made me a lithographic master photographic negative of the PCB pattern that I needed to etch.
I etched myself a supply and would then make my initial circuit layout on Engineering/math .1 inch centered graph/grid paper, as I saw where my holes were needed and then individually drilled just the holes as required, vice a Kajillion !!!
The little center etched divots help guide the micro drill bit until it takes the onset of its initial bite.
Where I had to cut a strip open, I was using a sharp #11 Exacto blade with two adjunct slits with the inner foil peeled off instead of the MUCH wider rotary circle cutter.

I had incorporated on end connector areas such that I could cut down some boards widths and plug into Burndy–Cinch-Eby 9-10-15-22 pin card catalog connectors. In your case you might just want to lay an end conducting terminating wire down centered upon the end plane of a conductive strip and tack re-flow solder it .

I J-pegged one of my old negatives for you, should you want to use the Tom Gotee / Laser copier / Toner transfer method for its iron on deposition onto a blank PCB for the resist aspect application, with the PCB unit then being etched.

For my part, I have always had a photo darkroom and exclusively used lithographic film and made perfect negatives…thus perfect transfers..thus perfect boards.

Below is your URL for the J-peg negative….be sure to click on the right bottom corner Mag logo or the small image will have an optical pairing or skipping of lines until viewed at the higher magnification when evaluating.
On viewing the image in the print preview mode prior to a print copy, also zoom up on the image, then you can see if the print layout positioning is OK. I almost centered it up on the PDF format , but you might still have to go in the menu on your printer and tinker with the aspect ratios for super perfection. I was using a HP laser for my trials.

Image is direct URL sourced here:
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/9843 ... peglw8.jpg

Also, an on page visual reference here:
.Image

73's de Edd
[email protected] ..........(Interstellar ~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected]........(Firewalled*Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
:grin: :razz: :smile:

A friend in need is a pest indeed..........Image...............