Spy camera-wireless signal boosting.

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
gatesone

Spy camera-wireless signal boosting.

Post by gatesone »

Hello,
I bought a video transmitter on ebay to send video from a small spy(surveillance)camera back to my home. The camera is stashed at the beginning of my street with the association's permission in order to catch my wife's dangerous and destructive ex husband when he comes around. Anyway, the (supposed 2 watt) transmitter is too weak for me to receive the signal approximately 200 yards away in a suburban setting. The signal will be going through obstacles such as houses and trees. Question is...how can I boost the signal to say 10 watts or whatever so I don't have to bury 200 yards of cable to get the picture? Or should I just buy an antenna to try to pull in the weak signal? Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
hp

Re: Spy camera-wireless signal boosting.

Post by hp »

Do you have a license to operate such a setup legally? If not then don't bother with a wireless setup.<p>If you do have a license then you should be able to rig up a directional antenna on both ends. That should help the signal strength to your house.<p>Note about 'ebay' bought cameras: Most of the cameras that can be bought on ebay run on 1.2ghz which is not a legal frequency in the US. Also, such cameras are usually overrated by the supplier, so a 2 watt camera could really be a 1.5 watt camera.<p>Harrison<p>[ December 11, 2004: Message edited by: hp ]</p>
gatesone

Post by gatesone »

OK, thanks.
gerty

Post by gerty »

Most wireless video is designed for line of sight.
In other words, you should be able to see the receiver from the transmitter. Could you possibly mount your receiver where it would "see" the transmitter . Then you could run coax back to the monitor/vcr...
bridgen

Post by bridgen »

2 watts at 200 yards is plenty of power. You don't need any more.

Ensure that the transmitter antenna is not in close proximity to anything which can absorb the radiated power - your statement that it is "stashed" implies that may be the case. <p>Are you stuck with its antenna or can you run a co-ax lead to one mounted clear of obsstacles?<p>I wouldn't have thought that a clear line of sight, as mentioned by gerty, would be necessary with that much power at that short distance - you are certain that the transmtter is producing its stated power or somewhere near it aren't you? And that the receiving antenna/feeder connections are in good condition?
jwax

Post by jwax »

Chris- The major concern with a typical (BTW- 2 watts is not typical!) video transmitter is its operating frequency, which dictates the type of antenna needed for optimum range.
What antenna are you using, and what is the operating frequency?
John
WA2RBA
gatesone

Post by gatesone »

Thanks for all posts. I was using a transmitter that was supposedly 2 watts at 1.2ghz. But, I am having my doubts about these specs. I am finding that most surveillance stuff on ebay is junk. Or you can buy from a "spy" web site and probably get quality(spybase.com) but you pay through the nose. How can you check the transmitter output, what kind of device is used?*****This morning I tried a device I bought 4 years ago. It broadcasts on Ch.59(UHF I believe) around 433mhz at supposedly 100ma of power(runs off a 9 volt battery). Line of sight, I was able to get a perfect picture at a minimum of 200 yards away recieving the signal using nothing more than a handheld Casio portable TV with the telescoping antenna fully extended(it runs on 3 AA batteries). I did not have time to try it at a further distance. So, I am thinking that if I goto radio shack(only because it is quick)and buy a large roof antenna and signal booster, and run the antenna wire to my CCTV cabinet in the basement and run that wire through a signal booster) I should be all set. Anybody have any suggestions on this new set up? Thanks again.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Ebay- "Caveat Emptor"!
Buyer beware, but there are good deals as well as bad out there.
That said, caution with signal boosters! I've tried a few, and always disappointed. Only marginal gain.
Why would you want a "large roof antenna", if your little Casio whip picks it up OK?
Sounds like any UHF antenna, line of sight with the transmitter should perform well.
Hope your "subject" gets caught! :D
WA2RBA
gatesone

Post by gatesone »

I shall try a larger UHF antenna on the roof as the entrance is around the corner. Thanks for the posts.
Externet

Post by Externet »

:!: Thread from fourteen years ago...
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

If the spot is secure then an IP camera connected to a willing neighbor's Wi-Fi would be simplest and most reliable. If no wi-fi, get a cheap phone and tether to the camera. If not secure, put it all in your car and run it off the battery and park in a strategic spot. A Dash cam might suffice for this purpose. Most IP cameras have an SD slot for local storage. If you don't require real time surveillance, the IP camera alone will do the job and you can retrieve the video on demand as required

Anything RF wireless is probably actually obsolete and that's why it seems like junk, usually not much better than 480 resolution and subject to all kinds of noise. These cameras will also not be secure and viewable by anyone with an old baby monitor (speaking of which, you may find a solution in that category too)