¿ What's cooking ? ... perhaps your intelligence organ

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Externet

¿ What's cooking ? ... perhaps your intelligence organ

Post by Externet »

jwax

Post by jwax »

Methinks the Brits have had a few pints too many.

Here's an IQ test for ya.....
http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=221233
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

A few pints of "black and tan" perhaps?
philba

Re: ¿ What's cooking ? ... perhaps your intelligence o

Post by philba »

Externet wrote:Hi friends...

http://www.wymsey.co.uk/wymchron/cooking.htm

Miguel :shock:
odd, those two phones aren't really talking to each other and don't need to be connected to each other, just transmitting. you could do better to put 20 of them around the cup. but then typical cell phones are significantly lower than 2W of rf output.
SETEC_Astronomy

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

If you keep your cell phone in your pocket like I do you might be cooking a different organ. Hot dog anyone?

I guess the only difference is that I don't keep the cell phone on in my pocket.
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

I thought the power level of these phones was limited to 600mW or even lower. I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt that you could cook an egg with this method. Did I say HIGHLY doubt this? I don't think even the Mythbusters would try this out.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

The phones in the picture appeared to be Analog which transmit on full power all the time.

It is just a scare tactic. I suspect you could hard boil an egg with the heat emitted from the battery and electronics (RF emmissions omitted) given that an egg white will cook (albeit slowly) at barely 100F.

RF emissions are generally converted immedietly to heat. Any heat sufficient to damage tissue would hurt like any other burn regardless of if that heat were transmitted via RF or conduction. Since we don't hear of 1st degree cell phone ear burns, I doubt there is any perminant damage dispite even my phone being uncomfortable to talk on for more than 25min or so.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Probably calculating the effects of a cell telephone would not yield the coagulation damage egg white (100% protein) suffers.

In favor of telephones, here is a counterpart article witheld until now, not very precise to my opinion, but :

http://thinkhole.org/wp/2006/02/06/cell ... g-cooking/

and because the blood flow would carry away much of the extra heat.

BUT It is not the effect of talking on the cellphone. It is the cumulative effect of talking on the cellphone. Smoking a pack of cigarrettes has not the same effect of years smoking. Or irradiating the flesh.

And, against the cellphone; the delta temperature of head tissues is not from ambient ~20ºC to the~63ºC = 43ºC that does the damage; it is much less from already 38ºC corporal temperature to the damaging ~63ºC, about only 25ºC rise ! So the calculations must take that in account.
More of the same:

http://www.dancehallreggae.com/forum/sh ... hp?t=87257

Miguel
philba

Post by philba »

haklesup wrote:The phones in the picture appeared to be Analog which transmit on full power all the time.

It is just a scare tactic. I suspect you could hard boil an egg with the heat emitted from the battery and electronics (RF emmissions omitted) given that an egg white will cook (albeit slowly) at barely 100F.

RF emissions are generally converted immedietly to heat. Any heat sufficient to damage tissue would hurt like any other burn regardless of if that heat were transmitted via RF or conduction. Since we don't hear of 1st degree cell phone ear burns, I doubt there is any perminant damage dispite even my phone being uncomfortable to talk on for more than 25min or so.
yup, and there are the pictures of some one cooking an egg on the sidewalk on a really hot day.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Fear not gentle folk. Consider the fact that there is an imaginary egg in that egg cup. Low cal, low cholesterol, etc.

Dean

WARNING: Consuming raw or undercooked seafood, poultry, meat or eggs can be dangerous.
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.