Caprice Classic 1994 turn signals don't shut off automatical

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Timothy Rasch

Caprice Classic 1994 turn signals don't shut off automatical

Post by Timothy Rasch »

Hi, I am a consumer electronics technician asking why the Caprice Classic 1994 turn signals don't shut off automatically when they did so about one year ago. Is this a major problem in the steering column somewhere. I am not too familiar with auto electrical systems. The car has about 200000 miles on it and the engine is in good condition! Help would be appreciated!!!! Tim Rasch [email protected]
bearing01

Post by bearing01 »

Please clarify your question. Do you mean they do not turn themselves off after you go around a turn? Or, do you mean they no longer blink?
[quote="Chris Smith"]What does the smell of “piss in the windâ€
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

The smell is still prevalent? What is this a neo con alert?

Your steering column is bad. In side you have several little levers that jump in one direction, and click off the turn signal in the other.

They could be bad, misaligned, or broken? If anything is broken in here the whole system wont work, turn on or off, etc.

Don’t go any further than those who "have" been there, lest they ask you all about your first born as well?
Timothy Rasch

caprice classic1994 turn signals don't turn off automaticall

Post by Timothy Rasch »

Hi,to clarify my question the turn signals don't turn off automatically after making a turn of the wheel. Caprice Classic 1994.
Tim Rasch [email protected]
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

I'm assuming you mean the arm does not snap up automatically when you complete a turn. Likely it is in one direction, or at least started that way. For instance you turn right and when you straighten the wheel the signal cancels. You turn left and the left blink does not. In the old days this was one of two parts; a spring, or a plastic cam. About 50 cents from the dealer for a spring and cam (sold separately). You pulled the steering wheel off (two to four screws holding the horn button and one large nut holding the steering wheel) using a gear puller. Underneath you found the switch assembly for the turn signal. In the case of Fords, Buicks, Cadillacs, and Chevy's you'd see the broken spring and could replace it. Or it might be the cam. In either case the pair of spring and cam used to be around 50 cents. For ease of repair I usually spent the extra dollar and replaced both springs and both cams at the same time. If you decide to do this yourself, get two sets of springs (two for the left and two for the right directions) and cams as you might end up breaking one the first time you try. Also, read my closing statement below.

Doing some on line searching revealed that these items still sell for a very cheap price. In the "old days" you did not have to replace the entire turn signal switch, just a couple parts. With the steering wheel off it only took a pair of needle nose pliers to perform the swap.

See this thread:
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1399

It has been better than 15 years since I've done one of these and that is mainly because of the air bag. I fear accidentally deploying the thing. Even if I disconnected the battery I always fear working on the air bag as SOMETHING might get shorted and unexpected deployment of an air bag is not something I want to have happen.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

ya , sounds like a broken cancling cam in the lever assy. inside the colum
and all that junk is under the steering wheel..
BEWARE OF TAMPERING ESPECIALLY IF IT HAS AN AIRBAG !
let a pro look at it..
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Having done it five Zillon times at a great profit, just replace the plastic parts.
Edd

Post by Edd »

Well, I was near our Auto Technology Group Instructonal division and gleaned your specific info for your task at hand . It was on microfiche but I then J-peg’d it into a usable viewing format for you….. that is, up to the encroachment into pixilation and resolution of my original source materiel.

Instructional Text:

Et les diagrammes :

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/3528/fig10ac0.jpg
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/8213/fig11nu7.gif
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/1271/fig12oz0.jpg
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/8060/turnindswik7.jpg

Rot’s of Ruck !

73's de Edd
[email protected] ..........(Interstellar ~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected]........(Firewalled*Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
:grin: :razz: :grin:

Don't worry about.... "the world coming to an end today"........ it's already tomorrow in Australia..... Image