Off topic : Computer batch file at windows startup...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Externet

Off topic : Computer batch file at windows startup...

Post by Externet »

Hi.
Sorry for the off topic, but there has to be a genius on this stuff around here.
How to execute a set of commands automatically after finishes initialization (Win98 ; Win XP)?

Getting into Windows explorer, I manually delete 'temporary internet files' and all 'cookies' from within their folders periodically, which is supposed to happen when the option to do it when closing the browser is selected under Internet 'tools'

But it does not happen as expected, and besides cookies being kept in the cookies folder, they also hide in several 'internet temporary folders' along with more crap pumped by peddlers and spies of all sorts. :sad:

To the colorguard of computers idiots (me), is not easy to implement such 'Startup?' batch file/set of actions.

In other words, what I want is to delete automatically all cookies as soon as Windows ends initializing.

Can someone tell how to do it in simple terms and clear steps ?

Miguel
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi JPKNHTP.
Afraid to ask for more, as the above is already hebrew for me. :sad:

If VB means Visual Basic, I would say is a luxury, but fine, as long as empties ALL the locations holding the crap every end-of-boot, before hooking onto the net (I only have dialup).

Selective deletion (or keeping) of some desirable cookies would be a luxury, again. For an expert in the subject, may not be much of a task.
[I tossed my IBM 360/30 COBOL programmer title to the trash can in 1971, and have no intentions to return there]

The ..."just tested and works fine"... is impressive for me. If you can do something in your joy time would be great. Now I believe trying to follow instructions would be too much for me.

Thanks,
Miguel
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
KamPutty

Post by KamPutty »

How about creating a batch file that does all the DOS cleanup commands on the directories you need (del \tenmp_area\*.* /q), then after the batchfile all works as planned, put it into your "startup" area (Start --> Program --> Startup). This should run the batchfile at startup.

Hope it help!

~Kam (^8*
KamPutty

Post by KamPutty »

I just re-read your post...if you need help deleting this is how (if you already know, well, there it is!...)

Asuming you know the area you want cleaned...

Command:

del "\program files\IE\temp_area\files\*.* /q"

This will delete all files within the \program files\IE\temp_area\files" directory (notice the quotes on the filename, this is to make sure any spaces within the drectory do now get messed up). The "*.*" means delete anything that matches the wildcards, in this case anything. You could do "*.tmp" etc. The "/q" means "just delete the dang file(s) without asking me.."

Once you make this file (you can use notepad.exe to make it), make sure it ends with ".bat" else you're in trouble.

Once you create and test this batch file, create a shortcut to it and move it into the startup area within your "Start" menu. To do this, create a shortcut to the file. Get a directory listing (GUI) and use the RIGHT mouse Button and drag the file to the "Startup area" and select COPY. I like using the RIGHT mouse button for all these things as it lists you only valid options you can do.

Make sense?

If not, email me and I can walk you thru it.

Take care,

~Kam (^8*
muti007

Post by muti007 »

I have never created a batch file and am not so great with dos. I have a favor to ask. Could someone tell me how to create a very simple batch file that simply deletes one specific file?

TIA.
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
muti007

Post by muti007 »

You guys are the best. Thanks!