INTERNET RADIO

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Mike

Re: INTERNET RADIO

Post by Mike »

Sorry about that. I'm not much of a fan of Musicmatch. Back when version 5 existed, that was a feature of the free and pro version.<p>Either way, I prefer a small program called HardDiskOGG. It can record to Mp3, Wav, and of course, Ogg vorbis. You will need the Lame_enc.dll file for Mp3, which is included with many mp3 playing programs, so a simple search should find. It's small, doesn't require installation, is free, and works perfectly. It also has an automatic volume increase or decrease.<p>A search on the internet should find it.
philba

Post by philba »

Dean, for better or worse, the term that is used is Internet Radio. Basically it refers to anything that has a radio format delivered over the internet. Even if there never was a real transmitter in the process. Cervantes would understand your point though...<p>By the way, there are a number audio appliances that can receive Internet Radio broadcasts of various flavors. Not sure which is best these days.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mike:

Either way, computers cost pennies, if that much to run for a day. The speakers, depending on how big they are, are where all the power is used for listening to internet radio. I'm sure that a PC with internet radio costs less to run than a standard reciever playing FM or a CD.
<hr></blockquote><p>WRONG! Try again. Look at the wattage it takes to run a PC vs a standard desktop radio. A PC and monitor consume way more power than most speakers as well. Just compare the size of the power supplies. I've seen so called "100 Watt" PC speakers running on a 12volt 1000mA power supply. (You know this is not 100 Watts continuous.) A CD player uses minimal power. My portables run on two AA batteries and last many hours. My combo MP3/CD player runs about 40 hours on one set of batteries. It drives a Belkin tunecast (FM Transtmitter) that runs 150 hours on a pair of AAA batteries. A portable AM/FM radio will produce room filling volume on a pair of AAA or AA batteries or even a single 9volt battery. Try running a PC on any or all of the above combinations.<p>I'll get off my soapbox now. (But I have to vent every time I see such obvious misinformation. Don't get me started about electric cars. Uncommonly Wealthy Edison can barely let me run my AC in summer let alone a car.)<p>John, which service are you listening to? There are two sevices in the USA; XM and Sirius. Both are now $12.95 per month. The difference is the packages you can get. For instance Howard Stern will be on Sirius as will the NFL and NBA. Major League Baseball will be on XM. <p>I've seen older receivers with car kits go for around $25 on clearance. If you have Dish network for television there are about 60 or so Sirius music channels available. But this requires that you tune one of your satellite tuners to an audio only channel.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Jolly Roger,<p>Not to start a fight here, but I'm not talking about those speakers. I mean real ones, like my z5500 speakers.<p>Computers do cost very little money per day to run. And even if it has a 550W power supply (like mine) it never draws that much, especially with the only task on the CPU being streaming radio.<p>This is where I think the PDA is the best solution. There is NO dobut they draw next to no power, and if it has wireless, it has as much function as a real PC for streaming audio.