INTERNET RADIO

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
JOHN GAGARIAN

INTERNET RADIO

Post by JOHN GAGARIAN »

I LISTEN TO A RADIO ON THE INTERNET, BUT I DON'T LIKE TO KEEP THE COMPUTER RUNNING ONLY FOR THAT PURPOSE.
THIS RADIO STATION ALSO BROADCAST VIA SATELLITE,SO I WOULD LIKE INFORMATION CONCERNING HOW TO FIND A PORTABLE RECEIVER FOR THAT PURPOSE
josmith

Re: INTERNET RADIO

Post by josmith »

They call it SATELLITE Radio. If you need it to be portable and are willing to buy the reciever and pay twelve bucks a month you can have it. Otherwise leave your computer running it's cheaper.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I'll have to play around with mine and see if it can be done, but maybe a PDA with Wi-Fi and the right software???<p>Either way, computers cost pennies, if that much to run for a day. The speakers, depending on how big they are, are where all the power is used for listening to internet radio. I'm sure that a PC with internet radio costs less to run than a standard reciever playing FM or a CD.
Mike

Post by Mike »

http://palmtops.about.com/od/pocketpcle ... ingPPC.htm<p>for the pda idea... I'm going to try that now.
Mike

Post by Mike »

IT works! perfectly!<p>I'm using a dell axim with built in wireless.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

"Internet radio"
"Satellite radio"<p>I don't understand what the word "radio" is doing in those terms. That "radio" is such a perversion of the original version of "radio" of the 1930s and 1940s that you can't possibly consider it the same. Anyone can receive WNBC via satellite or Internet. It's RADIO when you receive it on your communications receiver or your AM table radio. They need to rename it "Internet broadcasting" or "Satellite broadcasting".<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Mike

Post by Mike »

internet radio is often a broadcast of regular radio stations on the internet. It's like a radio is why they call it that. You choose a station and connect to it to listen. They choose what you listen to just like a real station.<p>internet and satellite radio is not named that for how it works physically, but how they are just like a real radio.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

life is complicated enough..lets keep it simple.. to most of us its RADIO :D
not hardly any wi-fi around here, and satalite radio does not carry the stations i like.. so i am stuck here with insane car commercials..<p>i am still trying to figgure out how i can record live "internet broadcast" to mp3.
right now i only can do it with cassette..
i tried to use streamdown.. never got it to work, and tech support never replied..so there fore i wasn't going to buy it.. the free trial was useless
plunt

Post by plunt »

To record from "audio in" to MP3, do a search on "audiograbber" Free software, has been around for years, quality stuff.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Aaaahhhhhh! You kids just don't have an understanding of and reverence for the glory days of AM radio and SW broadcasting. The high school kids I taught were the same way. Not a glimmer.<p>I know WHAT Internet and satellite radio is. It just ain't RADIO. Thinking it is would be like a ham radio operator communicating with another ham via e-mail and calling that communication "amateur radio."<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I understand what you mean. So does probably everybody here. But to the general public (well to everybody) technology is already complicated enough, so the term radio is used for that reason.<p>Let's not start an argument here, though.<p>I do really like being able to use my PDA for internet radio (oops I mean internet broadcasting), because I can listen to a variety of music anywhere in the house that I can get a wireless connection.
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Post by Michael Kaudze »

When I think of "Radio" I think of music. I don't think of how its transmitted or broadcasted. I only think of what is played on it. Calling it Internet Broadcasting would be like calling the Anaheim Angels "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" - It just doesn't sound right.
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen William Hawking.
redrocker

Post by redrocker »

To record live internet broadcasts, just connect the headphone out jack to the microphone input jack with a male-to-male cable and download the free MusicMatch to record the broadcasts to an MP3 file. You can even schedule recordings with the Windows Task Scheduler. All free except for the cable.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Beaker, there is no need to even do that much! All you have to do is select System Mixer as the input in musicmatch, then go into the volume control, properties, advanced options, and then click Recording and then OK. Select system mixer and set the volume to about 25% to 50%.
redrocker

Post by redrocker »

Mike, I was without internet service since my last post, but I just tried your suggestion. Apparantly, the System Mixer is an option for the Plus (paid) version, not in the free version. Admittedly, my free version is old. Have they since incorporated this feature in the free version? If so, I will update it, but otherwise I am loath to fix what is not broken.