binary clock

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

binary clock

Post by dacflyer »

how hard or simple whould it be to build a binary clock,,,is there any schematics available?
binary clocks have caught my interest...<p>also seen a clock once...it had digital display...with 60 leds in a circle...one by one they lit up..then after 60 sec,, they went out one by one...anyoe seen such a clock? i think i seen this one in a subway in either austria or germany.....whould love to have one too...any ideas,,,
hlreed

Re: binary clock

Post by hlreed »

A binary clock would have to have a lot of digits to tell the time. I would go the other way and make a 1 digit clock. 24 hours and 60 minutes per hour give you 1440 clicks on your clock. That is, your clock could have 1440 minutes around it. In binary that is a lot of digits.<p>On second thought, don't do this.
Harold L. Reed
Microbes got brains
skrallman

Post by skrallman »

I just searched google. There seemed to be alot. This looks like a good one.
http://www.namon.net/binary.html<p>There are also clocks for your windows desktop.
Scott
Edd

Post by Edd »

Dacflyer de jetflyer:<p>Keeping with the binary readout ,the technique to use on the readout format is to tier them in decades. This ends in a quick readout capability, as compared to a long linear laid out display.
For a very simple schematic using common easy to get parts ,see:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... /clock.htm
For the digital clock with binary readout……that should look good with some of your heavy industrial strength LED’s….but also don’t forget to see other clocks at the main home page :
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/<p>73's de Edd
[email protected] ............(Interstellar~~~~~Warp~~Speed)
[email protected]........(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
;)
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

thanks for the link ed...lots of neet stuff there
the binary clock looks simple enough..whould be great if i could find a foil pattern or a premade circuit board,,,just add my own parts,,found a kit,, but they want over 50,00 for it.. BAH !
gadgeteer

Post by gadgeteer »

To do the perimeter light (600 LEDs, I would just use a buncha shift registers arranged in a long "bucket-brigade"; all clocked at 1 cycle of course, and a divide-by-60 flip-flop providing the everyotherminute effect (odd minutes get a "1", even a "0")...