I was given a server!

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Nice walkthrough!

But...You're site won't load!

Also, you mentioned SSH for uploading files. This may sound dumb but what is that? I always use FTP with the built in FTP Server to CC, but this sounds interesting.
hp

Post by hp »

Its called SCP or SFTP. Both are secure and based on SSH.

Search on google for WinSCP. I use it all the time for uploading stuff to my fedora server.

Harrison
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

hmm.. you cant see this page

http://sambuchi.servebeer.com

"has a green screen"

I can see it working on my computer with those links.

Try it again .. we just had a big thunder storm here in FL and my power went out a few times.

I hope it works.. I wanted to wait till I had it working perfectly

:???: :???: :???:

You must try Secure Shell. Very easy to use. You can either use command line or open two windows... one window your cpu dir and one window your server dir. very nice.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Nope, can't connect to it.

And I think I know why. CC by default blocks all incoming connections. It's a very nice feature, but interferes with web servers. This drove me nuts for the longest time. I could get to my site but no outside visitors.

Go into the control panel, the network tab, Incoming, then from the Standard Services dropdown menu add everything you plan to use over the internet (HTTP, possibly HTTPS and FTP, etc.)

This still blocks incomming html requests from the computers behind the CC box, and only lets the web server connect to them.

Does SSH work over the internet? I love FTP because it's so easy to use. I simply type in ftp://domain name, login, and I've got total access. No additional software needed besides IE on the computer I'm accessing the server from.
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

ok..

I was in Standalone w/ no firewall.. that setup does not let you get the screen to add/remove Port address..

So I went to the normal standalone and updated my Port calls "80". I think it should work.

JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
Mike

Post by Mike »

Same here. Can't get to it.

Are you sure your IP address is updating when it changes? Unless you have a domain from clarkconnect where your server can update it automatically, or your internet connection ran through a router that can update dyndns automatically you cannot update your address automatically and must do it manaully when your address changes.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Do you have the firewall running now or not?

Also, with the SSH thing. I installed dual boot Ubuntu on my computer. If I go to Places menu and then choose Connect To Server. In the box that pops up, I choose SSSH, then type 192.168.1.1 in the Server box, and mike under the username. I click OK and the box goes away. Now, I see 192.168.1.1 under the places menu. I type in my password after clicking it and now get the following message:

Cannot display location 'sftp://[email protected]'

Details: There is no default action associated with this location.

Any ideas what this is and how it can be fixed? I can browse the firewall perfectly fine using samba, but that I assume slows it down since the firewall converts linux to windows, then ubuntu converts windows back to linux. I'd rather just have linux to linux.
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

This may help

http://www.sambuchi.net/Projects/Server/SSH.htm

from the looks of it. your host name that you are typing in is wrong.

just type in 192.168.1.1
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

Wow ... I almost lost my cool! My problem wasn't your ordinary brain teaser..

The firmware for the router that my friend gave me was old "bad". Updated the firmware and WHAMMMY!!

Thanks all!
Mike

Post by Mike »

It works!

I only see the one page now, but it loaded fast. What are you running on, cable or DSL?
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

One page for now.. I have over 100 Megs to move over.. plus I still have a few months on my other server to use up.. moving day will be soon for the DNS name!

I am using Cable..

I'm glad the page came up fast because that would have been another problem that I would have to look into..

Right now I'm using only one processor. I have the option to use two but I think I will wait till I see the site slowing down to use it.