I was given a server!

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Sambuchi

I was given a server!

Post by Sambuchi »

I was given a server today and not too sure where to start!

http://www.flytech.es/Supermicro/Produc ... P3TDE6.htm

The above is a link to a datasheet... its a (super p3tde6).

I have never owned a server... "just rented space". Anyone own/run a server or know a website to go to for help?

Thanks
Mike

Post by Mike »

It's actually quite simple depending on software choice.

My personal favorite is the free ClarkConnect. It's a full linux server with apache and a bunch of other features such as firewall, local server, FTP server, etc. all built in and easy to use.

It takes nothing to install either.
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

Hello Mike thanks for the post.

I just started to read about ClarkConnect. It looks good to me and its free! I really like l linux based systems so thats a plus too.

I just found out that the board that was given to me is no longer in production. Not that theres anything wrong with the board... Well, I look forward getting started with this project soon... It would be nice to move my website over to this and do some other neat stuff...

If anyone else has some info... please post!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Did the server include all of the hardware? Processor, RAM, etc.? If so, what did it come with? Looks like a nice board!
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

No, I was not given a processor or RAM with the board... I may be able to find one at work... Any recommendations? I am thinking thats all that I need to get this board running.
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

ok well I was able to score some more freebies!

I now have

2 600Mhz processors
2 128MB RAM

I'm guessing for a dual processor board 600Mhz is ok

But 256 RAM is a little light. I'm think about using this for my website but would be nice to have the option for.. gaming ect.

How are you setup Mike?

Thanks for your input.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I actually run my server on an older Pentium 233mHz MMX with 256MB ram and a 100GB hard drive.

It's nothing fancy, but works perfect for the 4 websites I host and has plenty of room and even speed left for more pages.

256MB should be enough, and if it isn't, you can always add more!

And for ClarkConnect, dual 600mHz is more than enough. Are they P2, P3, Celeron or Xeon?
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

they are P3 600Mhz processors..

The spec for the board said that I can only use Dual or single Intel 370-pin Pentium III 1.40GHz-500MHz processors.

Thanks for telling me what you are using, gives an idea on what to expect.

Well, I picked up a power supply today .. thats all of the hardware!

I will try to install clarkconnect tonight.

What about my .php files. Will I be able to still use them? Other than those, all I have are .htm

Thanks Mike
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yes of course you can!

You first have to turn on the Web Server feature though. You can use php plus MySQL databases, FTP sever, Local file server including Samba for windows access, CUPS print server.

It also includes features such as built-in firewall (if you use two network cards, one connects to the internet, the other to the LAN), Parental Controls, Web Proxy, Web Gallary software and is upgradable.

It's excellent software! Plus you can register it and get a bunch of extra downloadable software as well as create a free dynamic domain name (yoursite.pointclark.net or .com - I don't use it so I can't remember if its net or com).
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

@#$* !!!!!! ... I hit a little bump. :x

Well I picked up a 80 G hard drive... I removed my hard drive from my computer to install clarkconnect on it. (I only have one cd rom so my plan was to put the OS on the hard drive then move it to the servers primary IDE) and I did... so I started hooking up all my stuff to the server board and the last connection was the VGA monitor... no VGA CONNECTOR! :shock:

My server board uses AGP so I guess I need to hunt for one of those cards tomorrow. Since I formatted the hard drive on a different computer I am assuming the server board will not work right now and I need video to change the IP and some other things I clicked yes to during the setup...

I should be able to get my hands on a AGP card tomorrow... and hopefully I can say then ... I am finished.
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

JPKNHTP that is very generous of you and thank you for the offer. I was able to do a small trade for an AGP card at work this morning. :grin:

I hope this is all that I need to get this thing running smoothly thanks again JPKNHTP.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Clarkconnect detects LAN cards, what slots they are in and all of the other system parts during installation I belive.

It would be best to borrow the cd-rom from your other computer or to try and borrow one from someone at work.

But it is a good idea not to have a cd-rom connected all of the time. CD-ROM drives draw a constant 5W I believe, over a year or two that adds up!

I do suggest installing ClarkConnect on the PC it will run on.

JPKNHTP, what types of cards do you have? Anything with 64MB or more of RAM? Only if you're looking to sell them that is.
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Thanks Mike and JPKNHTP for the support.

I now have a server running CC "Clark Connect" :grin: :grin: :grin:

Wow I learned a lot and it was very interesting... But all I want now is a drink :P

So thanks for the help

Below is a link that has the history of the project.

***It's a link to the server that I am renting from ... but there is a link on the page to my new server!!***
http://www.sambuchi.net/Projects/Server/index.htm

Thanks again.