Ideas on making a 1.5 in x 24 in Graphic LCD?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
smartdog

Post by smartdog »

dr_when wrote:Think: plotter, etch-a-sketch, fluorescent text, rotating drum with text, Phil's projector idea, fiber optics and leds, light pipes, mirrors..... don't get painted into a corner with your ideas.
Good Dr_When,

Plotter:

Are you suggesting using a plotter to write out/stamp information in each area? Kind of a neat idea. I like where you going with this "out side of the box" thinking.
perso.freelug.org/benw/plotter/

Are you suggesting using a etch-a-sketch idea (draw on the back of each area)? just shake and then change the image at preset times. very different and interesting Idea.
www.hackaday.com/entry/7818361948203561/

VFD -Vacuum Flourescent Display
I did not know the name of them...but I think I am starting to fall in love with them. They also look like they are more likely to come in the size ratio I am looking for (the green/blue solid color is "hot" and looks like this technology can do full color. Dr_When thank you for showing me this technolgy. I think there may be possibilties with this :grin:
I think a pinball game screens....ooh, I like pingball....looks like I will have to do some research at the arcade
http://www.noritake-itron.jp/english/e_top.htm
http://www.noritake-itron.jp/english/e_cl/e_cl.htm :cool:

rotating drum with text:
This one I am having a little trouble with. ar you suggesting text on a drum and a step motor (think old Typewriters with spining head) or do you mean
this http://www.orangetek.co.nz/wa.asp?idWeb ... etails=118

Projector idea:
already addressed that with phila

fiber optics and leds
Some interesting technologies

The good Dr_When has spoken. And gives so excellent advice about keeping mind open.

Well sometimes it takes another to help open the door.

Thank you for taking the time to think of some suggestions. really like VFD.
We all learn by sharing what we know
Smartdog
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

Kent Displays (www.kentdisplays.com) lists an LCD that is 12" by 1.5" ("infosign"). This may be as close as you can get in a standard item.
philba

Post by philba »

smartdog wrote:
philba wrote:a lot depends on the pix height you want.

for a moderately expensive solution, use a small projector to build a rear projection uint. You might have to sacrifice a lot of the vertical lines but it would look pretty good, I bet. depends on how much depth you have. It sure would be bright, though.

also, there are LCDs that use elastomeric connections. Last one I looked at seemed to not protrude outside the edge of the glass. I'm not sure how readable it would be. If you are scrolling music, then visibility is going to be a bit issue.
Philba
I am going to upload a digarm (very basic and not exact ...but gets the idea across)

I think you will see that there is not a lot of room to work with. Think of fretboard on a guitar is about a close as I can come to explaining what I am think of but standing by itself.

The projector Idea is very interesting. are you suggesting using a PDA and then using mirrors to project the image down the neck and reflecting the image onto the pedals?

I would like to have text, graphics and amimation effects that travel the board.

I hope this will give people an idea of the constraints that I am working with.

Again thank you takin the time to reply.

Space is probably too tight but you can take any front projector and turn it into a rear projection unit with the proper screen and mirrors. that's how rear projection units are made. There are some fairly small projectors but probably not THAT snall.
Clyde Crashkop

Post by Clyde Crashkop »

Maybe use lenses like in picture to expand the display and cover up the ends. If you figure out the radius, you could make a mold and cast all of them at once with clear acrylic and cut them into the widths you need.[img]
smartdog

Post by smartdog »

Clyde Crashkop wrote:Maybe use lenses like in picture to expand the display and cover up the ends. If you figure out the radius, you could make a mold and cast all of them at once with clear acrylic and cut them into the widths you need.[img]
Clyde,

This is a very nice idea! I have been looking into the lens idea you suggest. I think is a winner of an Idea. I could us a smaller display for each area and magnify to the right size or I could create a lens that take the black edge around a screen (If there is one...example LCD)

Do you have an good websites or refences for creating molds and casting in clear acrylic( I will have a look on the web and see what I can find). I think this sounds like a lot of fun :grin:

Thank you for you suggestion.

Smartdog
Clyde Crashkop

Post by Clyde Crashkop »

Since the picture didn’t upload I will describe it. Flat on top, concave against the LCD to spread out the image lengthwise.

If there is an easy way to upload pictures, please let me know.
smartdog

Post by smartdog »

Clyde Crashkop wrote:Since the picture didn’t upload I will describe it. Flat on top, concave against the LCD to spread out the image lengthwise.

If there is an easy way to upload pictures, please let me know.
If you look under the white box you typed you message in, there will be an small black arrow and the words "Add image to Post"

Smartdog
Clyde Crashkop

Post by Clyde Crashkop »

You may be able to find a very good book “The Prop Makers Guide to Castingâ€
smartdog

Post by smartdog »

[quote="Clyde Crashkop"]You may be able to find a very good book “The Prop Makers Guide to Castingâ€
Smartdog
Clyde Crashkop

Post by Clyde Crashkop »

The actual name is "THE PROP BUILDER'S MOLDING & CASTING HANDBOOK" By James Thurston 792.025

My idea would be to use something smooth like Formica bent to the right radius and make walls for the right length of LCD to pour in Acrylic. If you make 1 long piece you can cut it up to make lots of lenses.
Clyde Crashkop

Post by Clyde Crashkop »

I was planning on the acrylic laying flat for the top surface when poured in the mold but the stuff I used was pretty thick so surface tension would cause the edges to curve up or down against the walls. You could make it wider and cut off the distorted sides or put a glass lid on the mold and fill it from the end.
smartdog

Post by smartdog »

Clyde Crashkop wrote:I was planning on the acrylic laying flat for the top surface when poured in the mold but the stuff I used was pretty thick so surface tension would cause the edges to curve up or down against the walls. You could make it wider and cut off the distorted sides or put a glass lid on the mold and fill it from the end.
I think you have pointed out that a grinder/polisher of some sort might help out.

Might be better to inject the acrylic into the mold. let is overflow and releasing all the air pockets. Then, cut off extra and grin/polish to perfection.

Any special type of acrylic (clear)? Or Does anyone know of a better way to make a lens? (Sorry this question is a little of topic for electronic bborard but the purpose is for electronic project.

Thank you for investing you importaint time on this
Smartdog
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

If your into making your own display from scratch I suggest using a low power laser[s] diode, a X-Y mirror and signal generator.

Like a mini laser light show, you make your own [Reverse] raster signal and display it against either a opaque front glass or bounce it onto a long painted surface [24x ?] similar to a wall at a laser show and then bounce this with a mirror to view the strip head on.

The Reversed signal is only needed if you use the mirror.