Ideas on making a 1.5 in x 24 in Graphic LCD?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
smartdog

Ideas on making a 1.5 in x 24 in Graphic LCD?

Post by smartdog »

hello,

I have been trying to figure out how to make a 1.5 in x 24in LCD (would be nice to have color but...)

Ok here is what I am running into. I can not find a large thin Graphic LCD, so I thought maybe I could place several small LCD next to each other to make one big Graphic LCD.

Problem:
Trying to find an Graphic LCD that produces an image to the very edge of the Display.

Here is what I am looking at using, but If some has a better Idea, I am all for trying something else:

1: Color LCD
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... cts_id=569#
2: Color LCD Driver Board
http://www.jelu.se/shop/product_info.ph ... cts_id=128
(nd, it's all an a small 33*38*3 mm PCB, which "hides" completely behind your LCD, making the total size only 35*40*7 mm!)

But if I use this setup, I will have big black lines cutting thru if I try to set the LCDs next to each other.

Also, I wonder if I would have to have a dedicated to PIC micro for each LCD if I want to try to animate an object across all the screens

We all learn by sharing what we know
Smartdog....not so smart...but trying to learn new tricks
Smartdog
dr_when

Post by dr_when »

Sometimes, when you have an idea, you have to think about what you are doing and approach it from a completely different perspective. Yours is one of those.
"Who is John Galt?"
smartdog

Post by smartdog »

dr_when wrote:Sometimes, when you have an idea, you have to think about what you are doing and approach it from a completely different perspective. Yours is one of those.
You are wise. And I appreciate your comment and suggestion of searching for a solution from a completely different perspective.

But would you be so kind give this young padawan a hint of the sweet necture you believe to be out there.

Project:
Like to create a screen that is 1.5 x 24 inch that is b/w or color.
I have a limited area to work with, so needs to be very flat.

I really am trying to learn...so any suggestion or questions would help. Maybe this is a basic problem that has been solved. but I do not know how to ask the question (newbie)

thank you for you time and answer
Smartdog
L. Daniel Rosa

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

Okay, we know the what. If we know more of the why behind the what we can give some useful advise.

One and a half by twenty four inches is a bit disproportionate for any application I can imagine. Are you making a scrolling message sign?
smartdog

Post by smartdog »

L. Daniel Rosa wrote:Okay, we know the what. If we know more of the why behind the what we can give some useful advise.

One and a half by twenty four inches is a bit disproportionate for any application I can imagine. Are you making a scrolling message sign?
Sorry to make everyone guess what I am doing :???:

No I am not making a scrolling message sign and yes the 1.5 in x 24 is not standard. But that is the size the screen has to be.

I am try to make it fit a musical instrument and 1.5 in by 24 in this is the size of the area under the see thru pedels. So the screen really close to this size and needs to be very flat once constructed.

e Ink would be perfect. but it looks like that is to expensive.

Do you have a suggestion? I wonder what kind of resolution do you could get from a scrolling message ooard (I have not tried that keyword search).

Thank you helping

:razz:
Smartdog
philba

Post by philba »

a lot depends on the pix height you want.

for a moderately expensive solution, use a small projector to build a rear projection uint. You might have to sacrifice a lot of the vertical lines but it would look pretty good, I bet. depends on how much depth you have. It sure would be bright, though.

also, there are LCDs that use elastomeric connections. Last one I looked at seemed to not protrude outside the edge of the glass. I'm not sure how readable it would be. If you are scrolling music, then visibility is going to be a bit issue.
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

Liquid crystal displays have to be sealed to avoid degradation of the liquid crystal material. This seal requires space all the way around the display, and this may make it impossible to stack them end-to-end without interruption.

A 24" long LCD could probably be made as a custom item, but would probably be very expensive due to tooling charges and minimum order size.

Such a display might also be very fragile and need thicker glass than is normally used.

Some LED arrays are made to be stackable in this fashion, but they may be too expensive or the resolution may be too low for your purpose.
Gorgon

Post by Gorgon »

Hi,
What pixel density are we talking about here? What are you planning to display, text, graphic or just light effects? Is the 1.5" x 24" the max dimension of the module or the size of the display area? What thickness are we talking about?

Why does it need to be LCD?

TOK ;)
Gorgon the Caretaker - Character in a childrens TV-show from 1968. ;)
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Start with a larger one, [24 x ?] and divide it into smaller units.

Five of six concurrent strips from one large one?

Its called multiplexing.

Unless over size is the issue?
dr_when

Post by dr_when »

Think: plotter, etch-a-sketch, fluorescent text, rotating drum with text, Phil's projector idea, fiber optics and leds, light pipes, mirrors..... don't get painted into a corner with your ideas.
"Who is John Galt?"
smartdog

Post by smartdog »

Chris Smith wrote:Start with a larger one, [24 x ?] and divide it into smaller units.

Five of six concurrent strips from one large one?

Its called multiplexing.

Unless over size is the issue?
Chris
I would like to start with one large 24x ? and divided in into smaller units. The Question is What text technology would do this that is not over $500.oo to $1000.00 dollars just to put some money on the table. I know I could just get e Ink and the problem solved. But that is more then $3000.00 dollars. I am trying to find somthing that is cheaper.

Multiplexing! that is sounds very interesting and a good technique if I have to use more then on "screen".

I am going to put up a diagram to show what I am up against.

Thank you for you intrest and helping me learn the correct way to communicate with the electronics world.

We all learn by sharing what we know!
Smartdog
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

smartdog

Multiplexing and signal generators is the way to go if you can use a large screen. Much like a TV raster, you scan in using a signal generator to create each line of code on just one portion of a screen, and even multiples can be made on one screen.

Look up TV sequencing [line by line generation] , signal generators, and text generators.

A cheap BW screen and some digital’s should get you there.

However I can not quote you on overall cost?
smartdog

Post by smartdog »

philba wrote:a lot depends on the pix height you want.

for a moderately expensive solution, use a small projector to build a rear projection uint. You might have to sacrifice a lot of the vertical lines but it would look pretty good, I bet. depends on how much depth you have. It sure would be bright, though.

also, there are LCDs that use elastomeric connections. Last one I looked at seemed to not protrude outside the edge of the glass. I'm not sure how readable it would be. If you are scrolling music, then visibility is going to be a bit issue.
Philba
I am going to upload a digarm (very basic and not exact ...but gets the idea across)

I think you will see that there is not a lot of room to work with. Think of fretboard on a guitar is about a close as I can come to explaining what I am think of but standing by itself.

The projector Idea is very interesting. are you suggesting using a PDA and then using mirrors to project the image down the neck and reflecting the image onto the pedals?

I would like to have text, graphics and amimation effects that travel the board.

I hope this will give people an idea of the constraints that I am working with.

Again thank you takin the time to reply.

Smartdog
smartdog

Post by smartdog »

rshayes wrote:Liquid crystal displays have to be sealed to avoid degradation of the liquid crystal material. This seal requires space all the way around the display, and this may make it impossible to stack them end-to-end without interruption.

A 24" long LCD could probably be made as a custom item, but would probably be very expensive due to tooling charges and minimum order size.

Such a display might also be very fragile and need thicker glass than is normally used.

Some LED arrays are made to be stackable in this fashion, but they may be too expensive or the resolution may be too low for your purpose.
rshayes,

Thank you for your knowledge about how LCD are made. So are there any LCD (or any screen technology) that goes right to the edge or only two side black. If I could find a really small screen I could use a Fresnel Lens to enlarge the screen size.

Yes, I think it might have to be custom item to make it really "cool" but I can make it in part that will work too.

I think you observations about what might be needed for the custom job is correct.

Stackable screens (thank you for the term - really helps me on searches :grin:

Good resolution is importaint for this project. "Good" subjective. I would like to be able to create animation and use text and graphics.

Thank you so much for helping me out. I hope to return the favor
Smartdog
smartdog

Post by smartdog »

Gorgon wrote:Hi,
What pixel density are we talking about here? What are you planning to display, text, graphic or just light effects? Is the 1.5" x 24" the max dimension of the module or the size of the display area? What thickness are we talking about?

Why does it need to be LCD?

TOK ;)
Gorgon,

It does not need to be LCD. I would like to use text and graphics and motion effects. Color is not the greatest importance. if you see the graphic I provided. It should give you an idea of what dimentions I am working with

I believe Dr_When is trying to get me to open my mind and attack this problem with a different perpective. I think he may be on to something.

Gorgon, thank for asking your questions. I think you are right I need to provided more information to the list.

I wish I know more about electronic devices....do we all :smile:
Smartdog